F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Advice needed on purchase

Old 03-29-2004, 05:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice needed on purchase

Hi everyone, I've been lurking for a couple of days and getting loads of great info. Thanks for all the previous posts.

I'm in need of a tow rig. For the past 4 years, I've been pulling a 24 Travel Trailer as well as a 2 horse trailer on a fairly regular basis. I've been using a G20 Custom Van for this and have pretty much ate through the diff, the trans, and beat up the engine pretty good. I'm tired of 40mph hills on the freeway.

I'm not able at this time to get anything really new, so am thinking about at 97 F250 Crew Diesel that the local dealership is taking in later today.

Questions:
1. It appears that the gas F250 is essentially the same as the F150, (pre 99) if it doesn't have a designator for "super duty". Is this true?

2. I've never owned a diesel. I hear it does better with milage but requires more filter/oil dollars. What are the issues here?

3. Can anyone tell me the differences between the 98 and 99 F250 rigs. It sounds like there were several differences.
a. Was there difference in the back-seat size? I want seating for 6 people for a long trip.
b. Were there other performance enhancements made available with the 99 redesign.

Thanks,

Old 03-30-2004, 08:52 AM
From my understanding, the 98 F250 is a light duty - same body style as the 98, but with a beefier frame and springs. Others may correct me if I am wrong. How much are you looking to spend? 99 SD's can be found in the mid teens. Do you need 4x4? What are your needs? Do you own a house that you can get an equity line of credit and get the tax benifits? Let us know what you are looking for and and your financial situation and I am sure someone here will have advise for you. Welcome.

runnert

Old 03-30-2004, 09:48 AM
If you plan to tow 2 horse trailers and 24 foot trailer regularly then I would get the diesel. The oil change could be around 13 quarts. I let the dealer do it since I can’t really store that much oil. I would only buy a tow vehicle that has cruse control. For the rest of the questions that you asked, I would go to www.Edmunds.com and do the side by side comparison.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice needed on purchase