F-250 / Super Duty / Diesel

Hill Hound and V10ers

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2003, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Hill Hound and V10ers

Hi HH

So far, whats your newest opionion on your new 03 V10?

Hardest engine decision ive ever had to make, because....

This past week drove them all. 03 Ford V10...new 6L PSD w/new 5spd a/t (red lettering on diesel badge)......ok now EASY does it, i know 01 chevy silverado 2500 duramax/allison a/t.

New PSD nice...on cold start up...for a moment some quieter than 7.3L...but rather quickly had a noticeable hard piercing knock..i guess normal? was better after warm up. Was a F350 crewcab s/b (demo) surprised at ride..not bad at all. Awesome power/tq. Couldnt hear engine going down freeway.

Distant neighbor i met...its his chevy...he let me drive it etc...i was impressed. A nice combo.

V10...drag race...with 6L ( both solo/stock) similiar trucks...i dont think the PSD will blow it away...however...towing...thats different.

Anyhow...back with both feet on the ground etc...looks like V10 is still best for my needs. etc. Sure been interesting. Dealer calling Monday on price etc. Decisions decisions etc.

Good luck...OT

Old 01-26-2003, 03:04 AM
Post Triton V10...

OT,

I don't know what to tell you about the V10 vs diesel decision. The F250 V10 is working out great for me and I never considered a diesel for the following reasons:

I do alot of short distance driving.
It now costs over 5 grand as an option for a new diesel.

I don't worry too much about how fast my truck is but I never seem to hold up traffic. The V10 in my new truck seems to be almost as quick as the 1/2 tons I've owned so that's good enough for me. The 6.8L V10 is quiet, smooth and so far has started right up after being parked several days overnight outside in 0 degree weather with no engine warmer. The only bad point is the poor mileage but I knew that before I bought it.

There's nothing wrong with a Chevy Duramax but if I was buying a new diesel I'd go with a 6.0L Ford. If you're looking at a used diesel a 1 or 2 year old GM Duramax might be a good buy if you can find one. I think Ford SDs are more durable but Chevys are nicer inside and a little more comfortable in my opinion. If you plan on operating on rough road or offroad at all I'd pick the F250/F350 because I think the front suspensions on them are more durable.

Here's pictures of it (excuse the winter road dirt/salt but I give up washing this time of year):

HH

Last edited by Hillhound; 01-26-2003 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-28-2003, 10:09 PM
Nice truck

Nice truck hillhound,

I love my v-10, this is the 3rd one for me. It does all my towing and hauling, and like you said the diesel is another 5g. Unless you plan on hauling alot and long way then the V-10 should be fine. this last one doesnt pull the mileage the other one did. (8 mpg now, 13 before)
Well good luck on your choice.
I have a pic of mine here i have added other oprions since lst photo, cant take a pic of it now been 0 her for 2 weeks, lol,

Old 02-01-2003, 02:04 PM
v10 decision

I agree with the comments - i went with the v10 for same reason - lotso $ for the diesel option and the 5.4 wasnt enough. I love the v10, except the mpg. It has the power though, is quiet, and is great in the cold weather startiup. I would opt for the v10 over the 5.4.

Old 02-02-2003, 02:46 AM
Thumbs up Re: Nice truck

Originally posted by firedude26
Nice truck hillhound,
Thanks Firedude!

Yours looks good also. You made a good decision with your tires-not only are those quality tires but they look great too. Did you order your 03 F350 or find it already on the lot?

HH

Old 02-02-2003, 11:46 AM
Old Timer

I would go with the V10, I have only had mine for two weeks and I love it. I don't tow enough to warrant a diesel and since I wanted a crew cab the 5.4 is to small in my opinion. I know it's a motor I won't outgrow and it moves on down the road nicely.
I am getting 12.5MPG with mine so far. That is of course without getting into the pedal. Mine is also a 4x4.
Good luck with your choice.

Old 02-05-2003, 10:42 PM
Re: Re: Nice truck

Originally posted by Hillhound
Thanks Firedude!

Yours looks good also. You made a good decision with your tires-not only are those quality tires but they look great too. Did you order your 03 F350 or find it already on the lot?

HH

This was ordered in oct of 02, got it 5 weeks, hard to find a truck like mine on lot. I just changed the seats to buckets and now i am waiting on a friend who works for visteon engineering, he is gonna put a entertainment system in the roof for the kids to watch tv and play. cant wait.......

Quick Reply: Hill Hound and V10ers