F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Expedition / Navigator (https://www.f150online.com/forums/expedition-navigator-60/)
-   -   2005 Expedition AC issues (https://www.f150online.com/forums/expedition-navigator/518319-2005-expedition-ac-issues.html)

sfcrangerdoc 06-03-2018 10:06 PM

2005 Expedition AC issues

Hi all,

I've been doing some research on this topic and wanted to toss out a few questions.

Symptom: AC on 2005 Expedition EB with Rear AC blows cold when driving, but when idling, or stopped doesn't blow as cold.

Troubleshooting so far: I've gotten some gauges and verified that my AC is properly charged to the right PSI so I know it's not low coolant.
Did a thorough cleaning of the radiator/heat exchanger fins, etc to ensure good airflow over the coils

My research has lead me to understand that the AC's in these generation of Expy's leaves something to be desired. What's frustrating is that it blows nice and cold when I'm driving and getting air flow over the exchanger coils, however when stopped at lets say the drive through or when I'm idling the car trying to cool it down before I get in it in my driveway it sucks. To compare...my 1997 F150 blows cold within seconds of starting up no matter what time of year. Don't need to be moving at all.

I have seen some people say add electric fans to increase airflow over the radiator while stopped which seems a bit annoying to have to deal with...however if it's the best solution I'm not opposed to it. I've done some other research and was thinking maybe there's a high performance radiator fan I can install in place of the factory one to increase the amount of air being pulled through. Thoughts on this? My searching hasn't turned up a whole lot...just aftermarket electric fans... but I could be looking the wrong places.

glc 06-03-2018 10:20 PM

Gauges don't tell the whole story. The ONLY way to determine a correct refrigerant charge is to evacuate the system with a vacuum pump, then charge it with the specific weight of refrigerant.

sfcrangerdoc 06-03-2018 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by glc (Post 5236394)
Gauges don't tell the whole story. The ONLY way to determine a correct refrigerant charge is to evacuate the system with a vacuum pump, then charge it with the specific weight of refrigerant.

True...however since it seems to be fine while I'm driving, lets just assume it's fine for now

01 gt f150 06-06-2018 06:06 PM

If the radiator fan isn't pulling air through the radiator at idle the ac condenser can't get rid of the heat and shuts the clutch down. The same thing happened to me. I found that my AC / Radiator fans weren't running. Fixed the fans and Ice cubes started spitting out of the vents again.

Roadie 06-06-2018 06:30 PM

Is the compressor running at idle? If so, it doesn't need refrigerant most likely. I don't know how the Expedition AC works but the Clubwagon I owned years ago had an orifice tube for the front AC and an old style valve for the rear with both working off the same compressor. That may be the difference.

sfcrangerdoc 06-06-2018 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by 01 gt f150 (Post 5236489)
If the radiator fan isn't pulling air through the radiator at idle the ac condenser can't get rid of the heat and shuts the clutch down. The same thing happened to me. I found that my AC / Radiator fans weren't running. Fixed the fans and Ice cubes started spitting out of the vents again.

The only fan in the engine compartment is the factory radiator fan that's pulley driven from the motor. I was thinking maybe there was an after market drop in replacement for it that would draw more air through the radiator but I'm struggling to find anything that's not aftermarket bolt on electric fans.

Originally Posted by Roadie (Post 5236491)
Is the compressor running at idle? If so, it doesn't need refrigerant most likely. I don't know how the Expedition AC works but the Clubwagon I owned years ago had an orifice tube for the front AC and an old style valve for the rear with both working off the same compressor. That may be the difference.

Yes the compressor does run at idle...both the cheap "gague on can" method and "professional" ac guages indicate that my AC is pressurized properly.

I guess i should also reiterate that it's not like the AC cuts completely out when I'm stopped...its just "less cool" than when i'm moving.

ManualF150 06-06-2018 09:38 PM

This is normal.

In order to fix this, you either need to add electric fans.

I remember years back, I don't know which vehicle it was (maybe Crown Vic?), but it had the engine mounted fan, along with dual electric fans, and I remember the A/C was cold as a freezer.

That is why most FWD vehicles have cold A/C because the electric fans run when the A/C or defrost is turned on.

sfcrangerdoc 06-06-2018 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by ManualF150 (Post 5236499)
This is normal.

In order to fix this, you either need to add electric fans.

Ok but there's no options that you're familliar with that are bolt on replacements for the factory radiator fan? In the boating world, i can bolt on a more efficient propeller to my outboard to get more efficiency and power...was hoping there was an option for that as well for the expy

ManualF150 06-06-2018 09:43 PM

Yes, you can. You can remove the fan clutch (I don't recommend!) or get an aftermarket fan with a higher CFM (blades are angled different than stock). Very similar to your boating experiences.

I do remember a universal electronic fan clutch kit being available, but I don't remember where I saw/read about it.

Roadie 06-06-2018 10:06 PM

I bought a "heavy duty" clutch fan for my 86 Monte Carlo SS years go when the stock unit failed. It acted like it was locked up with no clutch at all. It roared loudly and the fan belt would squeal when I stepped on the gas very much because it was so hard to accelerate the fan. So, I recommend you pursue electric fans if you have to have the AC working better at idle or low speeds.

sfcrangerdoc 06-07-2018 12:51 AM

OK so i think i understand that the general consensus is to get electric fans that push into the radiator. Can I use them in conjunction with the stock fan? Any suggestions on brands, etc? Things to stay away from? Tips or tricks on installing them?

Roadie 06-07-2018 08:38 AM

Didn't Ford got to electric fans on the newer trucks. They might work on yours. I'd check out the salvage yards.

sfcrangerdoc 06-07-2018 12:14 PM

Yeah I think I might do that. Ideally I just get a fan that I can bolt on in front of the radiator with a switch to the cab so i can turn it on while parked/idle to help airflow over the coils.

AboveTheLogic 07-28-2018 11:53 AM

I installed pusher fans on my condenser a few years ago trying to get the A/C to blow cold after making sure the refrigerant levels were right.

It didn't help, but the fans are cheap.

Recently I replaced the fan clutch with a motorcraft factory replacement. A/C blows NICE and cold now.

Fan clutches wear out. Borrow the tool from Autozone to get the nut loose while holding the water pump still and it should take less than an hour. No need to remove the shroud, but it'll be a tight fit.

Contender 08-01-2018 10:24 PM

Based on the Original Poster's described symptoms, I'd agree with AboveTheLogic and say his fan clutch is worn out. The worn clutch doesn't have the strength to move air when at idle, which is why you have cold a/c when travelling at speed.