Expedition / Navigator

removing wiper assembly 2010 Expy

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
removing wiper assembly 2010 Expy

The linkage arm on the passenger-side wiper came off and won't reconnect. There are no bushings to change. The motor works fine. Ford tells me I have to replace the entire assembly and their cost is $250ish just for the part. My problem is I can't get the old assembly out. Any ideas? Do I have to take to assembly apart just to get it out. If so, how do I get the new assembly in? I can't find any videos online that help. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-08-2017, 08:43 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Pictures?

I've never heard of the linkage arm failing ON ANY vehicle. I would say something happened to yours or you just got some kind of lemon. I would go to a junk yard and look at similar Ford vehicles and figure out what's broke on yours and then pick up the part or the entire arm from a junked vehicle.

Old 01-08-2017, 06:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joe51,
Thanks for your reply. Here is the pic I took before putting everything together. The pic shows the broken part. I removed the three screws and rotated the unit 90 degrees. The disconnected arm is laying underneath. Autozone thought I just needed a new plastic bushing but would have to go to the dealer for them. I showed this to Ford and they said to buy the whole transmission/assembly. I asked how I get the old one out and they didn't know, or wouldn't tell me. I would check a junk yard for a used part but I still need get the old one out and then how the get the replacement in. I'm debating whether I put in more of my time or just pay my mechanic. I can't believe a broken wiper mechanism after six years will cost probably $400-500.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:18 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm afraid that I can't help with telling you how to get it out but again I would suggest going to a junk yard and seeing if they have a similar vehicle that you can "practice on". If they have one that is partially apart you may be able to get a better look inside the cowling. I'd also bet that that bushing is going to be exactly the same in a LOT of Ford vehicles.

Have you checked a OEM Ford Service Manual to see what it says about how to get the wiper assy out? Your stealership should have one and they'll usually let you look at it if you ask.
"I can't believe a broken wiper mechanism after six years will cost probably $400-500."

Oh yeah, I can! :-/