Expedition / Navigator

'04 Road Noise that goes away when turning right

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 Road Noise that goes away when turning right

So, i have a 2004 Expy EB.

Just put new brakes on and new tires. Have also JUST put on a new front drivers side hub asmbly. The noise is still there.

Pretty much starts up at about 20mph and doesn't go away. Before new tires, my old ones were crappy and a bit cupped. Just put on new General Grabber UHP 305/45-22's and they didn't change the noise a bit.

The ONLY time the road noise/hum goes away is when i get the wheel about 2 degrees or more to the right. So a right hand clover leaf exit ramp makes the truck quiet. Even if i swerve around in my lane, i can get it quiet when i go to the right, it doesn't take much steering to the right to get it quiet.

Dont really want to drop in another hub on the passenger side if thats not gonna fix it.

Any help or insite is greatly appreciated!!!!

oh, heres a quick pic of my dirty truck with limited 22's and the new 305/45's on it
Name:  2011-12-05_07-49-54_692.jpg
Views: 5978
Size:  88.1 KB

Old 01-12-2012, 11:59 AM
I'd do the other hub.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:15 PM
Seems like the logical next step, right?

hubs aren't cheap tho, and im not too jazzed about the idea of dropping another $200 part in just for fun.

But, on the other hand, i got start somewhere. Cause its driving my completely crazy driving it with the loud hum down the road. Great truck in every other way, but this...THIS is killing me.

Last edited by Bluejay; 01-20-2012 at 10:33 AM. Reason: language
Old 01-19-2012, 05:34 PM
I had similar symptoms on my 06 F-150 and it was a front wheel bearing.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:56 PM
Man, this noise is driving me completely nuts. Truck is in great shape, runs perfect and strong, shifts flawlessly...but this noise...this noise is making me HATE my truck.

Guess ill move to the passenger side hub then and hope that solves my problem.

-fingers crossed-

Old 01-20-2012, 09:57 AM
I'd put money on the passenger side hub. When you turn right, it unloads the right side, which makes the noise go away. Pretty standard symptom.

FWIW I spent a decade as a mechanic and I am still ASE Master certified. Not trying to toot my own horn, just saying I've seen this a few times. Good luck!

Old 01-20-2012, 10:35 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
If replacing the left front hub did not fix the noise and you still have it, put the old one on the right side and see if it goes away. I did this on my truck and fixed my problem with not additional cash.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
If replacing the left front hub did not fix the noise and you still have it, put the old one on the right side and see if it goes away. I did this on my truck and fixed my problem with not additional cash.
That was exactly what i was thinking. Thanks for chiming in oh wise Bluejay! The drivers one wasn't in perfect shape by any means, but the fact that it changed NOTHING by replacing it, means that I can at least use that part to trouble shoot the passenger side. And if it does improve, then ill just buy a new one and be fresh up front.

Love the feedback fellas. So, thats the plan. Swapping front hubs. Ill post the results when its done and hopefully help someone else in the future!!!

Old 05-17-2016, 11:26 PM
I have this EXACT same issue. I've replaced both front hubs with new units, and tried rotating the tires. Still not fixed. Next thing I'm going to try is CV / Axle shaft. The noise COMPLETELY disappears when going around a right-hand highway cloverleaf. Anyone ever find the answer to this issue?

Quick Reply: '04 Road Noise that goes away when turning right