Expedition / Navigator

Mushy Ride - Need Advice -98 Navigator 4WD

Old 05-17-2009, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mushy Ride - Need Advice -98 Navigator 4WD

I have searched this issue to death and still no cure to the infamous "drunken cow" ride of my 98 Navigator 4wd w/ LLS. So far I replaced the rear (non air) and front (air) shocks (Monroe), all were blown out, just installed a Hellwig rear sway bar (with some improvement). I just ordered a Eibach front sway bar ($260, ouch) and hope this helps. I just don't get it, this is a $40k vehicle and can't believe the ride/handling is so poor. Could there be something wrong with the air ride (I don't have any CELs).

I had this issue with my 99 Buick Regal GS and changed shocks and sway bars and it rides like a champ now.

Questions:
Are the factory sway bars used in today's cars/trucks really that poor of quality?

One more thing, i have slightly undersized Michelins on the Nav, can this have a negative effect on ride performance?

Old 05-17-2009, 07:27 PM
The little tires are killing you. Mine rode like azz with the stock 17's and continental contitracs. I upgraded to 305/50-20's and it was like owning a whole different truck. I'm confused about what you said though, no air ride in the rear?

Old 05-18-2009, 01:16 AM
Nav98,

There is air (LLS) in the rear (but the rear shocks are non-air shocks). I plan to get larger tires when the Michelins wear out. They have 1/2 tread left on them and I suspect that they will wear our quickly on this "tank". I think my tires are only about 1.25" shorter than factory rims/tires regarding overall height. I had no idea that slightly smaller tires could make such a difference.
I would like to keep the original chrome rims (17", I think). They are sparkling "new".

What do you think about having slightly larger (than factory) tires mounted on the factory rims?

Old 05-18-2009, 02:13 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
are you unsatisfied with a "spongy" ride...or just everything in general?

the tires you currently have, are about 99% likely to be "P" rated. I suggest you swap out to a LT tire. It will really firm up the ride.
I had 275/65/18 (32") on my 2006 F-150 in a LT tire. The ride was very firm, and sure footed.

I also have a 265/70/17 (32") on my Dodge. It's the new Wrangler Silent Armour in a "P" rated. I love it. Very aggressive tread, and the tire looks pretty good as well.
I had some cheap POS 17's on the Dodge originally. This new rubber is awesome.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:36 PM
I agree with Tylus.....you can put bigger tires on the stock rims, I just put 17x9 cobra R rims on my mark with 235/55/17 tires.....they look kinda funny, but the tires were used to 60% left and i got them for $50 for all 4. I'll ride them till they are toast then get some 245//45-17's for it thereafter

Old 05-19-2009, 10:39 AM
Tylus, the overall ride is spongy and handling seems lacking for a $40+ vehicle. The steering seems a little loose too. All steering components are new or tight (idler arm, pitman, new upper control arms, new upper ball joints, new alignment, etc.) I did tighten up the gearbox adjuster a little to take up some slack (maybe needs more??). There is small knock in steering (play in intermediate shaft). You can feel/hear this play when parked and engine off. Can also feel this slight knock when going over bumps.

My tires are Michelin Cross terrains ($960 new). I bought them used. What's the difference between P and LT rated (thicker sidewalls??). I drove the Nav some more this week and the new rear Helwig sway bar did help a lot. I am waiting on delivery on the new Eibach front sway bar.

Perhaps the combination of poor rated tires (slightly smaller too) and play in steering is making the Nav handle poorly. Only own the Nav for 6 months and my wife drives it most of the time.

98Nav, did the larger tires firm up the ride and handling for you?

Old 05-19-2009, 11:10 AM
yes it was a $40,000 truck ..... 11 years ago!
I am sure the suspension is tired.. The front torsion bars are probably beginnging to get a little spongy.. If it really bothers you .. you could always replace the torsion bars with newer and thicker rated ones. That is a pain.. i would check on the tires (go LT) and try the new sway bars.

I have a 99 expedition and it is alot nicer (ride wise) (i think tires are 265/70/16 lt bfg long trail) than my 97 explorer.. as you can see i am comparing old to older though so .. i don't really know what i would do in a 2009 expedition!

Old 05-19-2009, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by cg22
Tylus, the overall ride is spongy and handling seems lacking for a $40+ vehicle. The steering seems a little loose too. All steering components are new or tight (idler arm, pitman, new upper control arms, new upper ball joints, new alignment, etc.) I did tighten up the gearbox adjuster a little to take up some slack (maybe needs more??). There is small knock in steering (play in intermediate shaft). You can feel/hear this play when parked and engine off. Can also feel this slight knock when going over bumps.

My tires are Michelin Cross terrains ($960 new). I bought them used. What's the difference between P and LT rated (thicker sidewalls??). I drove the Nav some more this week and the new rear Helwig sway bar did help a lot. I am waiting on delivery on the new Eibach front sway bar.

Perhaps the combination of poor rated tires (slightly smaller too) and play in steering is making the Nav handle poorly. Only own the Nav for 6 months and my wife drives it most of the time.

98Nav, did the larger tires firm up the ride and handling for you?
the ride was awesome 10 yrs ago...but it's a 5,000 + lbs vehicle...and things wear out.

I really think your problem is mostly the tires though.
a "P" rated tire has less sidewall re-inforcement
a "LT" rated tire has more steel belting

The LT gives the vehicle a stiffer ride, and alot better load & tow handling characteristics...aka, it takes the sway away.

btw, what air pressure are you running?
34/35 psi should be about right...I'd check your tire sidewalls and then air up to almost max air pressure. See how that affects the ride

You'd be amazed at the difference just +5 psi can make.

if you are running 30 psi or less, then you maybe should replace your tires ASAP. Running too low an air pressure will damage the tire sidewall...and then a blowout

Old 05-20-2009, 12:22 AM
edit

Last edited by 98Navi; 05-20-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by 98Navi
With my tires, the nav rides likes a new 60k vehicle. you can do better, all you need is a bigger paw print on the road..... since some aszholes on this board seem to rule,if you need my opinion from noow on, stang99x
@yahoo.com is where i can be reached, and hapily provided you with info you need to tell you the direction you shoud go. other than that, i'm out seein as idiots with nothing more tha personal opinions (which are bullshiziznit) seem to nowadays rule the board
huh?

Old 05-20-2009, 11:11 AM
Guys, thx for all your input. Update, I did a 200 mile trip yesterday city/highway (bumpy too). The suspension light came on halfway thru the trip. I don't know what this means. Height is okay and the light went off after we stopped for a hour and then continued. I did change the the factory noisy compressor with an Arbott Industries improved/quiet version 2 months ago. I followed their instructions to a T. Any ideas on why the suspension light came on? I have a ODB-II code reader but not sure it will spit anything out regarding the suspension light.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:47 AM
Forgot to mention, tire pressure is about 34psi on all 4 tires.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:30 PM
I was drunk and pissed about something else tylus, i edited the post to disappear.

My "check suspension" light used to flicker on once in a while for no reason, then go off and stay off like nothing ever happened. If it goes away and stays away, no harm done

Old 06-28-2009, 12:35 PM
Final Outcome

Guys,

I finally found a front swar bar ($61) from www.directfordparts.com. I changed it out and presto, no more unstable ride. The nav feels like new with new front and rear sway bars. I guess that since the nav is so heavy that the sway bars are subject to more wear than most other cars.

thx again for all you support.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:51 PM
4wd not working on my 98 navigator

I just bought a 98 navigator and just found out in a snow storm that the 4wd or awd dont work is this a common problem with these trucks or can anyone lead me in the right direction on were to start looking first.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mushy Ride - Need Advice -98 Navigator 4WD