Expedition / Navigator

Audio/Video Purchase Coming...please make sure I got all the parts I need

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 01:29 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Audio/Video Purchase Coming...please make sure I got all the parts I need

I get my Tax Return on Friday, and will be buying everything that night. I want everything installed and working by the 4th if possible.

The basic plan is a Double Din DVD deck for the dash, 2 headrest monitor's for the 2nd row, and a OEM Overhead DVD monitor for the 3rd row.

here is my parts list
Head Unit: JVC KW-AVX820
I'm not 100% stuck on this unit. But it has the best price I've found for the features I'm after.

1. Bluetooth Included...no extra modules needed to buy
2. 100% iPod/iPhone control
3. DVD Playback
4. Double Din
2nd Row Headrest Monitors
10" Monitor/DVD Player Headrests

or

9" Monitor Headrests (non-DVD)

I like the idea of the 2nd row having the option to watch the dash unit feed, or the ability to watch their own programming independantly.

but is it worth another $100? not sure

3rd Row OEM Overhead DVD
OEM OVHD Unit

I had intended to use 4 of the headrest monitors...but the 2nd row seats get folded down. Alot.

I'm scared that the monitors will get damaged. Is this a valid concern?

btw, I will be running the OEM Backup Camera to the new headunit.

anything else I need to grab, or will seriously need? I am a serious Car Audio/Video noob. I know about ZERO!!!

Old 01-26-2010, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I have an 05 eb expy and i have a similar setup installed, double din (with back-up cam) and 2 7" headrest monitors.

My suggestion is for the second row you might just want to get a second dvd player and put it in the center console (alot cheaper) because with most head units you cant listen to music and watch movies on headrest tv's and flip down monitor at the same time. (i didnt realize this untill after the fact) either watch dora the explorer, or get a no signal blue screen

in the front you will have the option to switch between 2 video inputs or listen to music, as well as the rear will have the option to independently watch the dvd (playing in the center console dvd player) or if your watching a seperate movie join you thru the use of input 1 and input 2(lets them "change channels"), and dont forget to get headphones!! My wireless transmitter in the tv's went out after a year (texas heat) and i had to install the wireless modulator that came with the headphones to make them work .... Just some food for thought..

This ended up longer than i thought but i hope it helps if you need pics hit me up, good luck!!

Old 01-27-2010, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by WHOISMOOTOO
My suggestion is for the second row you might just want to get a second dvd player and put it in the center console (alot cheaper) because with most head units you cant listen to music and watch movies on headrest tv's and flip down monitor at the same time. (i didnt realize this untill after the fact) either watch dora the explorer, or get a no signal blue screen
my 08 Expy has a 2 zone audio setup from the factory. the rear seats have their own audio controls and headphone controls...pretty nifty, even though the kiddo's aren't old enough to utilize. that might be a free fix I can use...if not, their problem not mine

I'm leaning more towards just getting 4 of the headrest monitors. it's the same price mostly, and I don't have to worry about wiring up the OVHD OEM unit to play nice with a aftermarket unit.
besides...each of those monitors has it's own DVD player. so each kid can play their own seperate movie

if you can, please post up the pictures. They aren't that plentiful

Old 01-27-2010, 10:14 PM
i have the dual zone as well but once the factory head unit is gone they dont "play nice" as you say, i have a wireless modulator mounted over the 2nd row audio controls im not too good with the posting pics but here goes nothing

Old 01-27-2010, 10:15 PM
Old 01-27-2010, 10:17 PM
i dont have any pics of the wireless modulator i only did this like 2 months ago..but here are the pics (i pulled it off) hope it helps

Old 01-28-2010, 01:32 AM

thanks man...that is pretty nice looking

Old 01-30-2010, 11:43 AM
Try the Pioneer AVIC F90BT

If you haven't already purchased the JVC you might want to check out the Pioneer AVIC F90BT on ebay. For about the same amount of money you get: Navigation, DVD (including rear output), IPOD control via touch screen or voice command (cable included with system), Bluetooth (with voice control), XM or Sirius (have to purchase cable) and SD card reader. Simple install just make sure you by a wiring harness (www.metraonline.com) and job is alot easier.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by OpesD
If you haven't already purchased the JVC you might want to check out the Pioneer AVIC F90BT on ebay. For about the same amount of money you get: Navigation, DVD (including rear output), IPOD control via touch screen or voice command (cable included with system), Bluetooth (with voice control), XM or Sirius (have to purchase cable) and SD card reader. Simple install just make sure you by a wiring harness (www.metraonline.com) and job is alot easier.
appreciate the info...but that unit is alot more expensive, with about the same features.

plus, you don't get the full screen as touchscreen. Navigation doesn't interest me, so it's a useless feature to me.

A Pioneer was on my shortlist at first, but they command some serious $$$ for what they are. the JVC is nearly as good, but about 1/2 the price.

btw, found mine for $435 brand new. not bad IMO. just waiting for it to arrive

Old 01-30-2010, 10:02 PM
I like the Eclipse 726E double din better than the JVC, plus it comes with Navi but I'm not sure about the rear view camera hookup b/c Eclipse has a proprietary plug for cameras but check it out

http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_0....html?tp=20212

I also like the idea of four head rest monitors vs two and a drop down. I was going to recommend the Alpine's but they are more expensive. I like what you have except for the in dash. Check out that Eclipse unit

Old 01-31-2010, 02:49 AM

that Eclipse does look cool. I had one of their single din units back in the day in my old old Mustang. great radio.

too late though. I already bought the JVC unit and 2 of the headrests. I'm waiting to see what the quality of the headrests units is like, then will most likely pick up 2 more of them.

as a temp work-around, i have 2 of the "strap" on units in there right now. I'll just move them to the rear row. I'm kinda starting to feel a little "gangsta" now. my Expy is about to have 5 screens while I'm cruising down the road

Old 02-09-2010, 11:23 AM
it does feel good to put in the wrench work and then have someone tell you that you have a nice ride, or go to a car show and realize your daily driver is better than alot of show cars (happened to me in el paso,tx)

Old 02-09-2010, 05:21 PM

Quick Reply: Audio/Video Purchase Coming...please make sure I got all the parts I need