Expedition / Navigator

Central Security Module (CSM) Hacking

Old 07-08-2013, 10:45 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Central Security Module (CSM) Hacking

As some of you know, I recently picked up a 2001 Expedition. It had some door lock problems which I thought was the door lock solenoids. After tearing apart one of the doors, I realized that all the doors locked fine, but only the driver door unlocked with the switch or remote. A little research led me to the CSM. I also read that even if I replaced the CSM, I would lose the keypad functionality without a trip to the dealer which I avoid at all costs.

Anyway, I removed the CSM and took it apart. There are a few relays inside and I labeled what each relay does: (two of them have the plastic covers removed)

I was unable to determine why the unlock all function wasn't working. Maybe the formerly installed aftermarket alarm smoked the CSM. The relays are all good and and so are the power and ground connections going into the CSM. I ran an extra connection which enabled the unlock all with a single fob press.

Last edited by ishootstuff; 04-10-2016 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I applied this hack to my 2001 ford expedition CSM (identical to this one) and it burnt up some traces from 'lock all' relay to the area where there is no relay when I pressed unlock on the key fob. I suspect there was something wrong with one of the unlock relays anyway. I went to the junkyard and pulled a CSM from a 2000 lincoln navigator and it works flawlessly, my unlock issue is solved.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:20 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Corey Manshack
I applied this hack to my 2001 ford expedition CSM (identical to this one) and it burnt up some traces from 'lock all' relay to the area where there is no relay when I pressed unlock on the key fob. I suspect there was something wrong with one of the unlock relays anyway. I went to the junkyard and pulled a CSM from a 2000 lincoln navigator and it works flawlessly, my unlock issue is solved.
Does the keypad work?

Old 11-14-2016, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by ishootstuff
Does the keypad work?
I couldn't tell you. I don't use that thing and haven't used it ever
To reprogram the key fob once I installed the new CSM I had to do the following -
1.Close all doors, then open drivers door and press the Unlock button on driver’s door while it is open, insert key into ignition.
2.Turn ignition from OFF to RUN 8 times within 8 seconds, with the 8th time ending in RUN. Door locks will cycle to confirm programming mode. (if the door locks do not cycle, then it was done incorrectly. You must start over by removing key and beginning from step 1)
(Off is the position where you can remove your key, RUN is the position just shy of starting your car.)
3.Within 10 seconds press any button on the first keyless remote to be programmed. Door locks will cycle to confirm programming. If you only have one remote then skip to step 5.
4.Within 10 seconds, press any button on the second keyless remote. Door locks will cycle again to confirm programming. Repeat step 4. for all other remotes.
5.Turn ignition to OFF. Locks will again cycle to indicate end of programming mode.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:30 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
You can usually visually inspect the traces and see if one is burned up or corroded.

Glad you got it fixed! Yes I'd call it fixed not hacked

Old 01-15-2019, 10:53 PM
will this effect the door buttons also ? i have a 2004 navigator where the door button's and the auto lock (speed sensor ) don't work but the keyless entry does work.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:24 PM

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I wouldn't think so.

Old 01-23-2022, 12:29 PM
Hi, do you have the pinout connector diagram available? I would like to know what each pins is for the connector.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Central Security Module (CSM) Hacking