Expedition / Navigator

Tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 09:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire pressure

Why does Ford recommend 30psi in the front tires and not 35? If I were to have 35psi in the front would there be a safety problem?
Thanks for any replies.

Old 05-17-2005, 10:09 PM
More Weight in front. With more weight more presure on tires.

Old 05-18-2005, 12:38 PM
My Expy calls for 30 front / 35 rear. Yours is likely similar. This is to account for a loaded condition where you put all your crap (or attach a trailer) in the rear.

It is generally safe to run tires all the way to the max printed on the sidewall. MFRs often specify a specific pressure below this because ride quality suffers with high pressures. So the MFR recommendation is often a balance between load capacity and ride quality.

Interestingly, the weight distribution on my Expy is darn near 50/50 front to rear. This is generally considered ideal for a sports car. An F-150, in comparison, will have much less weight over the rear compared to the front.

Old 05-21-2005, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by Jordan not Mike
My Expy calls for 30 front / 35 rear. Yours is likely similar. This is to account for a loaded condition where you put all your crap (or attach a trailer) in the rear.

It is generally safe to run tires all the way to the max printed on the sidewall. MFRs often specify a specific pressure below this because ride quality suffers with high pressures. So the MFR recommendation is often a balance between load capacity and ride quality.

Interestingly, the weight distribution on my Expy is darn near 50/50 front to rear. This is generally considered ideal for a sports car. An F-150, in comparison, will have much less weight over the rear compared to the front.
No it is not generally safe to run the sidewall max pressure. With that much pressure, which will increase with load, heat, speed etc you run many risks. One of them is increased stopping distance. Don't believe me, try it yourself. Your ABS will kick in a lot sooner than with factory recomended pressure. Not to mention the ride will deteriate to the point where most people will hate it.

There is a reason that manufacturers specify tire pressure. It's for safety. You seriously don't think that they have you lower the pressure below the max because it will line their pockets.

FWIW our '04 Navi's sticker says 35psi front and rear.

Old 05-21-2005, 05:07 PM
That is very bad advise Jordan not Mike....

Never run the max tire pressure....

What Ford has on the vehical stickers tire pressure are what is only good for the ORIGINAL tires on your vehical.

Once you buy a different set that goes out the window.

Run what your tire mfg recommends.

I have Bridgetone Revo AT's...I run 35psi all around...have even wear and good overall ride. In winter I go to 32 to 33.

Old 05-23-2005, 02:28 PM
Sorry, should have been more specific. Safe for the tire, but not necessarily for the optimal vehicle operation.

Thanks for keeping me honest

Quick Reply: Tire pressure