Exhaust????

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2002, 04:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust????

What exhaust do you guys recommend for both sound and performance? Ive been checking out JDM's full kit with long tube headers. But i was just curious what everyone else recommends. I dont know what to get. Hopefully some feedback will help me make up my mind. Also if anyone has JDM let me know what you think about it.

Thank You

Old 06-17-2002, 12:46 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Without knowing first hand the JDM...

I never looked into the JDM kit to be upfront....
I have a Gibson Super Truck on my '01 SCREW, the type that dumps infront of the rear wheel. Sound great, and helped take back pressure off the system.

My dad went the route of the full Banks kit on his RV ( Ford chassis w/ V-10 ), and it helped greatly over stock, but cost a bundle, sound is not really the target with this install.

I have seen a few posts with the Flow Master system, and the people like them.

First thing in switching the exhst is to look at what you might be doing with the truck:
Cap on back.
Driving with the rear slider open.
townign a trailer.
anything else

The reason I mention this is that if you do a rear exit, you will never want people in the back of the truck while you are driving, and you might get fumes in the cab of the truck if you drive with the rear slider open ( without a cap on the back ?? ).
I had Dual Rear exit on my last truck, with a cap, and did not have that much of a problem with the fumes, but I did not use my rear slider a whole lot.

The easy default is to put on a dual system with side dumps behind the rear wheels, this allows the most flexability with the above mentioned uses of the truck, and gets the noise away from the cab if you tow. I did not think the noise from the dump in front of the rear wheel was all that bad towning a tandem wells cargo trailer, but Gibson warns of this. My Dad's desiel has mroe cab noise towning then my truck does.

Long story short, figure out what you are going to use the truck for ( as optioned above ), pick the type that works with what you are doing, then look to see which mfgr has what you need.

sms

Old 06-18-2002, 08:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Listen to sound clips

Listen to clips at www.geocities.com/seebeew

Old 06-18-2002, 12:43 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question

What are you driving? I can only "assume" you have a 2002 Harley Davidson from your name, but who knows?

Anyway, if you have an 02 HD, you've already got a pretty good exhaust setup. It "should" be a dual in/dual out muffler setup as it is. If you are looking for more sound, then you will only need to find a decent muffler. I'm sure the more popular manufactures have a DI/DO muffler that will give you more sound.

Quick Reply: Exhaust????