New S&B Filters CAI system!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New S&B Filters CAI system!

S&B Filters contacted me several months ago to see if I would be interested in testing out their new CAI for the EcoBoost engine that they were developing. Of course, I said "yes"...lol.

So they finally got it done and shipped it out to me a couple of weeks ago but I have been traveling too much to spend any time on it. But now that I have it finally installed, I thought I would share how it turned out.

First, the product came very well wrapped and bagged; the filter itself was in a separate box and everything you need for the install is packaged and well identified/labeled with additional parts that might be needed for various model years. Everything seems to be of very high quality and well thought out.

The instructions are in color and take you step by step; very easy install! In fact, the hardest part I had was trying to remove the factory side inlet from the factory air box. Supposedly you just push down on the tabs to release the inlet, but mine seemed almost frozen in place, so in process of trying to force them out I spilled anti-freeze from the fill reservoir (which stays attached to the air box) onto my engine and frame. So after a few choice words and some clean up, I was able to finish the rest of the install without any additional drama...lol.

In the end, the system looks great! Here are some pics of the final install:

I really like how the new air box snaps into the bottom of the stock air box and uses the same locking mechanism.

I took it out for an initial drive and have to say that, combined with my Full Race exhaust, the system sounds great! It has a noticeable whistle at lower rpms that builds in sync with the turbos spooling up which I think sounds pretty wicked. A WOT, my Full Race exhaust takes over and the CAI sound in less noticeable along with the turbos. So as a package, it really compliments the truck and other mods well.

I will report more as I get more miles under its belt, but so far I think this is a well-made and cool-looking system. I didn't expect any seat of the pants feel especially since the Full Race exhaust is already on, but just knowing I have the S&B system and hearing it work makes me think I am already getting better performance...lol.

Name:  5d4701c5-a206-4a38-af16-7e0de7754a09_zps10b40c08.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  1.83 MB

Old 03-22-2014, 10:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice! Very clean looking in the engine bay also.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks very nice and clean
I like how its a closed boxed filter system.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Nice! Very clean looking in the engine bay also.
Thanks Darren; I also like how it is a closed box system.

Originally Posted by thelariat02
Looks very nice and clean
I like how its a closed boxed filter system.
Thanks, and I agree that I like how it keeps the closed box system like the original factory design.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:42 PM
Yes, closed box for the win. Any concerns with running lean at WOT?

Old 03-23-2014, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Blue07STX
Yes, closed box for the win. Any concerns with running lean at WOT?
No concerns or felt effects at all; I tried a few WOT runs and the truck just takes off like normal. I want to say if does feel a tad more responsive but hard to really tell since the exhaust system already had that effect over stock and might be more of "knowing" the new mod is there...lol. But so far I am enjoying it!

Old 03-23-2014, 03:53 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
There shouldn't be a lean issue because the EB is a speed density engine, it doesn't have a MAF.

Old 03-23-2014, 09:55 PM
That shows how little I know about the EB.

Thanks!

Old 03-24-2014, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by glc
There shouldn't be a lean issue because the EB is a speed density engine, it doesn't have a MAF.
Originally Posted by Blue07STX
That shows how little I know about the EB.

Thanks!
Yeah, that is why I wasn't concerned about that issue at all. Truck is not running lean at all and initial pickup is as strong as ever.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:13 PM
S&b

I have a S&B on my 2005 5.4L. I also love the closed system which actually sucks cold air from the fender not from the engine bay like most CAI. Plus the price is cheaper than most and it looks bad a$$ under the hood!!! I didn't notice much power gain maybe a little better throttle response. But it does sound awesome with my exhaust

Old 03-24-2014, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by afordguy
I have a S&B on my 2005 5.4L. I also love the closed system which actually sucks cold air from the fender not from the engine bay like most CAI. Plus the price is cheaper than most and it looks bad a$$ under the hood!!! I didn't notice much power gain maybe a little better throttle response. But it does sound awesome with my exhaust
You best be careful. Those do have a maf sensors and you have a good chance of running dangerously lean. 04 05 5.4l.came from factory in a lean condition.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by thelariat02
You best be careful. Those do have a maf sensors and you have a good chance of running dangerously lean. 04 05 5.4l.came from factory in a lean condition.
Good advice!

Old 03-24-2014, 04:33 PM

For you 5.0L guys, S&B told me today that if there was enough interest then they would also look into developing and offering a similar system. So I would drop them a line and let them know of the interest that may be out there!

Contact Info:

Email: https://forms.netsuite.com/app/site/...ipt_redirect=T

Telephone: 909.947.0015
Fax: 909.947.0603

Address:
15461 Slover Ave.
Fontana, CA 92337

Old 03-24-2014, 05:01 PM
"dangerously" lean?

Old 03-24-2014, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by afordguy
"dangerously" lean?
Yes "dangerously" lean. My buddy went thru 2 engines in his 04 because he wouldn't get rid of his K&N even after I told him the problems..
Do a quick search and 04 05 5.4l with intakes and you'll understand what I mean

Quick Reply: New S&B Filters CAI system!