F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Exhaust & Intake Systems (https://www.f150online.com/forums/exhaust-intake-systems-27/)
-   -   F350 Muffler Delete (https://www.f150online.com/forums/exhaust-intake-systems/485393-f350-muffler-delete.html)

spencerdrewh 04-05-2013 06:06 PM

F350 Muffler Delete

Hey all. This is not F150 related but I just wanted to give some feedback on a small mod I did yesterday for my work truck. For work I drive an 07 F350 SCAB with the 6.0 turbo diesel and a reading utility bed slap full of tools and whatnot along with tires for semis and stuff for the mobile repair division of the shop I work at. Well, yesterday I was feeling adventurous and chopped the muffler off and i personally think it makes the truck sound a whole lot better! Not sure if anyone on here has a 6.0 that they were thinking about doing this to, but if you do and you're considering it, go ahead and do it. It sounds great! Just thought I'd share that small bit of info.

avfrog 04-06-2013 10:35 AM

I'm debating to. I just don't want a LOT of noise while towing. But I would love to hear that turbo more!

spencerdrewh 04-06-2013 02:33 PM

It's really not a whole lot louder while you're driving. It's most noticable when you take off from a stop or get on the gas really hard. I'm not too sure about towing though. I haven't had to tow anything since i cut it off.

glc 04-06-2013 03:01 PM

My nephew hacked the muffler out of his 2000 extended cab Cummins - it sounded like crap in the back seat. Drone like you wouldn't believe.

avfrog 04-06-2013 09:51 PM

Can you even hear it cruising down the highway? Can you hear the turbo, or does the louder exhaust drown out the turbo whistle?

avfrog 04-06-2013 09:54 PM

Most all of the videos I have seen are 4" or 5" kits with no cat either. I don't want a larger and louder pipe. Just stock piping and keep the cat in place. I think...

2000Bansheeboy 04-07-2013 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by avfrog (Post 4973409)
I'm debating to. I just don't want a LOT of noise while towing. But I would love to hear that turbo more!

My dad has an 06 lariat, I hollowed out the cat and did 4" pipe cat-back no muffler and you can't even tell that I did it with the windows up. Windows DOWN, now that's another story :cool:
The 6.0's are practically pure freakin turbo spool out the exhaust, I wish I had a newer video of the truck with the intake and exhaust done but it's well worth it. More gas mileage!

2000Bansheeboy 04-07-2013 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by glc (Post 4973476)
My nephew hacked the muffler out of his 2000 extended cab Cummins - it sounded like crap in the back seat. Drone like you wouldn't believe.

Cummins are a different story. Especially those 2nd gens. At least 5 of my friends have them and think they're the hottest things out there and comparing their exhaust sound to the 6.0 powerstroke's is apples to oranges. The only drone my dad's has is from 2600-2800 rpms because I didn't have a pipe to put THROUGH the cat after hollowing it out so the sound resonates terribly in it. But still not even as bad as when a straight piped cummins is dronin'.

spencerdrewh 04-07-2013 08:40 AM

I'm gonna have to agree with bansheeboy, comparing it to the cummins is completely different. I left the cats and put 3.5" pipe in place of the muffler which is the stock pipe size. I can hear it a little bit just cruising down the highway. The main difference is when taking of from a stop or getting on the accelerator hard. I can hear the turbo whistle a little more but there's more of an increase in the exhaust volume rather than the turbo whistle in my opinion.

avfrog 04-07-2013 09:54 AM

I'm thinking the CAT has to go to get the turbo whistle to wake up.

avfrog 04-07-2013 09:56 AM

There any way you can get a video of your work truck Spence?

spencerdrewh 04-07-2013 11:52 PM

You might be right about the cat. I can't say for sure though. I'll try my best to get a video in the next day or so. I'll be a crappy cellphone video though. Also, I'll have to figure out how to upload a video haha.

02SuperLariat 04-08-2013 02:46 AM

If you want to hear a lot of turbo, do a 03/early-04 turbo swap or get a Powermaxx with the fewer fins. That plus a 4 or 5 inch turbo back and that sucker will scream.

My buddy has a early-04 with a 5 inch turbo back straight pipe and on the inside you cant even tell a difference with the windows up, but windows down and man does that thing sound good.

Same with my other buddy with a 08 6.4, he went with a 5 inch TB straight pipe as well, and with the windows up, it's as quiet as can be on the inside.

dsq3973 04-08-2013 08:46 AM

Here's my 06 with at idle no CAT or muffler and it's very quite in the cab cruising or driving in town if you're not to heavy with the skinny pedal but if you mat the skinny pedal it get's obnoxiously loud. Stick a heavy trailer on my truck and will drone like there is no tomorrow at certain RPM's but it's manageable.

2000Bansheeboy 04-08-2013 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by avfrog (Post 4973707)
I'm thinking the CAT has to go to get the turbo whistle to wake up.

Yes, that is the wake up call for the turbo whistle. Trust me!

Originally Posted by 02SuperLariat (Post 4974031)
If you want to hear a lot of turbo, do a 03/early-04 turbo swap or get a Powermaxx with the fewer fins. That plus a 4 or 5 inch turbo back and that sucker will scream.

My buddy has a early-04 with a 5 inch turbo back straight pipe and on the inside you cant even tell a difference with the windows up, but windows down and man does that thing sound good.

Same with my other buddy with a 08 6.4, he went with a 5 inch TB straight pipe as well, and with the windows up, it's as quiet as can be on the inside.

Oh ya, those were the variable vane turbos that were freakin insane right? Literally just sounded like a jet engine was inside your pipes!