flowmaster - magnaflow

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flowmaster - magnaflow

so .. i have a flowmaster single chamber 12" race muffler on my truck

i love the sound....

Everyone says i'm loosing power and get a magnaflow

so i have a magnaflow 18" body muffler..

i didn't like the sound..

but any ways should i put it on?

Old 06-18-2012, 08:34 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re-read your question and realize that a muffler will not affect your performance on daily driving or even high rpm. It is the size, layout, and bend types of your exhaust that effect everything.

If you are happy with your sound, keep it how it is man. Don't let other people tell you to change to something you do not want to.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:04 PM
That 18" sounds good, but probably quite a bit quieter than that flowmaster. I got rid of my 18" in favor of a 14", there was a big difference in volume, but even more of a difference in aggressiveness/depth of tone. After the muffler swap, I added Maggie hi flow cats, and those also made a big difference. My neighbor has a flowmaster on his 05 f150, it's not as bad as some of us make flowmaster out to sound, but he does tell me how much he likes mine fairly often. Like Darren said, if you like it, keep it as is. It's your truck, you get to listen to it all the time so do whatever makes you smile when you drop the hammer!

Old 06-18-2012, 10:04 PM
I have a 4x14" magnaflow round body and I love it. Sounds great at all ranges, especially at higher rpms. Definitely a head turner.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your not hurting your performance really that much. If you like the sound then roll with it.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:09 PM
disregard previous transmission, I am trying to set up my signature

Old 06-19-2012, 06:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dave06ford
I have a 4x14" magnaflow round body and I love it. Sounds great at all ranges, especially at higher rpms. Definitely a head turner.
Since we have the same setup, I too agree the start up, low rpm accel, idle, and driving normally sounds, are KILLER with the Magnapack. However, I find it loses its aggression in higher end RPM just like Arklight stated about his truck's system. However, I have not been outside to hear it WOT yet. My girlfriend drove it down the road mid rpm for me is all.

I have a feeling hi-flows and LTs will make me want to quiet it down more using a Borla XR-1 or a 14" ProXS but it will eventually happen anyways.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:04 PM
Keep them on there if you like them they aren't hurting the performance.

I've got a set of them waiting to be put on my F100 soon. It's good to know I'm not the only one on here that's different when it comes to exhausts.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:24 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by kens fx4
so .. i have a flowmaster single chamber 12" race muffler on my truck

i love the sound....

Everyone says i'm loosing power and get a magnaflow

so i have a magnaflow 18" body muffler..

i didn't like the sound..

but any ways should i put it on?
If you like what's on the truck then keep them on the truck.....

Enjoy!

Old 06-20-2012, 09:57 AM
TRUCK OF THE YEAR 2013

Originally Posted by 88racing
If you like what's on the truck then keep them on the truck.....

Enjoy!
Roger that!

Old 06-20-2012, 10:16 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DewserB
Roger that!
I agree !

MGD

Old 06-20-2012, 11:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Since we have the same setup, I too agree the start up, low rpm accel, idle, and driving normally sounds, are KILLER with the Magnapack. However, I find it loses its aggression in higher end RPM just like Arklight stated about his truck's system. However, I have not been outside to hear it WOT yet. My girlfriend drove it down the road mid rpm for me is all.

I have a feeling hi-flows and LTs will make me want to quiet it down more using a Borla XR-1 or a 14" ProXS but it will eventually happen anyways.
I have the same setup as you (magnaflow14419, split into dual 2.5) except i already have LT/no cats, mine tends to crackle a little when i bog the engine, other than that... nice throaty growl, sets off car alrms on startup too

Old 06-20-2012, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by jmt0645
I have the same setup as you (magnaflow14419, split into dual 2.5) except i already have LT/no cats, mine tends to crackle a little when i bog the engine, other than that... nice throaty growl, sets off car alrms on startup too
The Magnapack will actually set off car alarms without LTs and with Cats. lol

Old 06-20-2012, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by Arklight
The Magnapack will actually set off car alarms without LTs and with Cats. lol
Yep I felt like I had to hammer it with the Flowmaster 40 SIDO I used to have. Now with the Magnapack, all I gotta do is casually drive off to enjoy the sweet V8 music. Speaking of cats, Ark, did you get hi flows installed yet?

Old 06-21-2012, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by dave06ford
Yep I felt like I had to hammer it with the Flowmaster 40 SIDO I used to have. Now with the Magnapack, all I gotta do is casually drive off to enjoy the sweet V8 music. Speaking of cats, Ark, did you get hi flows installed yet?
Yeah, the Magnapack sounds real good. The XR-1 was quite similar but more bass. I think it was actually even easier to set off car alarms with the XR-1, if you can imagine that. I drove by a guy's car in my neighborhood at 1200-1300 rpms and his alarm started chirping. LOL

I live in California so hi-flows aren't allowed. Not sure sure I would nstall them anyways. The 2010+ model F150s already have darn near hi-flow cats anyways and the truck is PLENTY loud without them. I have watched a lot of truck videos and whatnot and it seems like a lot of trucks with the hi-flow cats seem to lose some of their tone. They are louder, but don't seem to sound as clear/refined tone wise. Again, just my opinion.

Quick Reply: flowmaster - magnaflow