What would you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 12:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What would you recommend?

I'm new to the site and really like what I see. As a former chevy guy I'm now in a Ford truck and extremely glad to be.

Anyway in the past I've had flowmaster 40s, Ravin z33 w/ no cats<--personal favorite, Dynomax Ultra Flow, and a Cherry Bomb Vortex. For this truck (2008 F-150 FX2 4.6L) I want something different. I looked at the Corsa DB system but really can't justify spending $525 on that setup but I want something I haven't had before, i.e. Bassani, Borla, and Magnaflow come to mind. I have also had four trucks in a row with duals straight about the back. This i'd also like to change and run a different type of exit, either a single out the stock location with a 4" tip or duals out the side in front of the rear tire.

Been lurking on the site and have a few questions/comments if if you fellas can shed some light I'd greatly appreciate it:

1.) Bassani was my first choice but after youtube-ing there just isn't enough sound for my tastes, especially since I don't plan on altering my cats. True?

2.) Borla's I'm completely on the fence about, any comments?

3.) Magnaflow Magnapack from what I have heard online and from the praise it gets on this site seems like what I need. How is the drone with a SI/SO setup?

4.) Is 3" piping too large for a SI/SO on a 4.6L, any back pressure issues?

5.) Side exit in front of rear tire, any problems with discoloring the rim? Tire or drone issues?

I like sound but I don't want it to be "your an a-hole loud" except when under WOT. So the setup I'm set on thus far is to replace the piping from the factory Y with 3", add a magnapack, and single it out at the stock location with a 3x4x12 stainless rolled tip.

Sorry lots of words/thoughts/etc. hopefully you fellas can lend some suggestions of give me the thumbs up on my plan.

EDIT: I was on Ford Truck World for many years before going to the dark side, what happened to that place? It's dead now.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:52 AM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Shiner Bock
I'm new to the site and really like what I see. As a former chevy guy I'm now in a Ford truck and extremely glad to be.

Anyway in the past I've had flowmaster 40s, Ravin z33 w/ no cats<--personal favorite, Dynomax Ultra Flow, and a Cherry Bomb Vortex. For this truck (2008 F-150 FX2 4.6L) I want something different. I looked at the Corsa DB system but really can't justify spending $525 on that setup but I want something I haven't had before, i.e. Bassani, Borla, and Magnaflow come to mind. I have also had four trucks in a row with duals straight about the back. This i'd also like to change and run a different type of exit, either a single out the stock location with a 4" tip or duals out the side in front of the rear tire.

Been lurking on the site and have a few questions/comments if if you fellas can shed some light I'd greatly appreciate it:

1.) Bassani was my first choice but after youtube-ing there just isn't enough sound for my tastes, especially since I don't plan on altering my cats. True?

3.) Magnaflow Magnapack from what I have heard online and from the praise it gets on this site seems like what I need. How is the drone with a SI/SO setup?

5.) Side exit in front of rear tire, any problems with discoloring the rim? Tire or drone issues?

I like sound but I don't want it to be "your an a-hole loud" except when under WOT. So the setup I'm set on thus far is to replace the piping from the factory Y with 3", add a magnapack, and single it out at the stock location with a 3x4x12 stainless rolled tip.

Sorry lots of words/thoughts/etc. hopefully you fellas can lend some suggestions of give me the thumbs up on my plan.

EDIT: I was on Ford Truck World for many years before going to the dark side, what happened to that place? It's dead now.

#1 welcome

#2 may I suggest you have a muffler shop modify your midpipe into a dual exhaust (2.5 inch) with an H-pipe, and either Flowmaster super 44's or Borla Stingers exiting in the location of your choice

Old 03-18-2011, 09:29 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Check out 08FX4's videos. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Guaranteed to sound better than any Flowmaster, even true dualed.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:25 AM
I can't comment on all the mufflers, I have had a flowmaster super 10 which is the loudest flow out there, and it was ok sounding just not my taste. I am personally not a fan of magnaflow's sound, but they are built extremely well. The lightning style exhaust is what I have on my truck (dual in front of tire), its true duals 2.5" straights with an x pipe exiting out 2 3.5" tips. I have no rim or tire discoloration, and I love the look of it, my setup is so loud its going to drone no matter where its at but there is a sweet spot right at about 2200rpm that it actually rattles the plastic in my truck. If you want to see what it looks and sounds like you can check out the video's in my sig.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:29 AM

I'm pretty sure these are two different sites, so try ford trucks too. ford truck enthusiasts is what the actual name is but the website is just fordtrucks. I'm over there more often than here. The magnapacks sound good on your years of truck, i think the guys name on here for the contest is ralacky? something like that. he uses them and his setup sounds good.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:02 AM
You really can't go wrong with Magnaflow. They have been proven to have better performance than other mufflers due to their straight through design. Plus it gives you a nice deep growl. I personally like the Magnaflow sound better than Flowmaster because with Magnaflow you get much less cabin drone and to me its a much cleaner sound. Just my two cents. Plus to answer one of your questions my exhaust is a SISO Magnaflow 3" and there is basically no drone whatsoever.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:44 AM
I have a flowmaster 40 delta using the stock pipes on my truck. Sounds good on my 5.4, with little drone. it does get loud at WOT though. Not many people here are fans of flowmaster, but if you read up and see that the magnapack flow through design muffles the sound with types of steel wool. After a while this deterierates and makes the truck louder and louder. At least I know with my flowmaster it is a staged muffler built out of steel and is the same now as when I put it on.

Old 03-22-2011, 08:37 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by damiansalmond
I have a flowmaster 40 delta using the stock pipes on my truck. Sounds good on my 5.4, with little drone. it does get loud at WOT though. Not many people here are fans of flowmaster, but if you read up and see that the magnapack flow through design muffles the sound with types of steel wool. After a while this deterierates and makes the truck louder and louder. At least I know with my flowmaster it is a staged muffler built out of steel and is the same now as when I put it on.
If by "deterierates" you mean breaks in then yes, but they never burn out like you imply. These aren't your $20 glasspacks you pick up at the local Vato Zone.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by 4.6 Punisher
If by "deterierates" you mean breaks in then yes, but they never burn out like you imply. These aren't your $20 glasspacks you pick up at the local Vato Zone.
That's funny, vato zone. I never heard that before (really). I guess I just like the idea of solid steel working for me and not a mesh. I will say those mufflers sound pretty good... It all really comes down to taste, and I like the flowmaster sound.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:32 PM
I personally think Magnapacks sound the best, especially on the 4.6. Just check out 4.6 Punisher's videos.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:11 PM
About the borla exhaust..

I have a single I/SO Borla Turbo muffler on my truck with the straight through design. It is a big difference from the stock muffler for sure. I just did a muffler swap and there isn't a really noticeable Hp change but my truck sounds alot meaner. Although its a single, it doesn't quite sound mean enough. I think I may purchase another one and run dual exhaust. Borla is all about the preformance and you can't go wrong with it. Just if you want a mean sound you should really consider duals. Although you may want to keep in mind that Corsa is not a bad exhaust system. You should check out both on youtube. I have a video of mine.... Good luck with your choice!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtbxu...el_video_title

Quick Reply: What would you recommend?