F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Exhaust & Intake Systems (https://www.f150online.com/forums/exhaust-intake-systems-27/)
-   -   should i do the h-pipe (https://www.f150online.com/forums/exhaust-intake-systems/441303-should-i-do-h-pipe.html)

nw150 02-13-2011 07:05 PM

should i do the h-pipe

I've got about a month before my 75 is back on the road, and gettin a set of headers bolted up. The exhaust should be true dual 2.5" unless i change my mind at the last minute and go 3". (won't be mandrel bent) Although true dual, both sides should be very exhaust in length, as they will stay on each others side, but i'm still debating on a crossover. I don't think an x-pipe will fit because i'm angle dumping the pipes in between the frame before the rear tires. I think an h-pipe will fit though. Should i have the shop make one for me? I've heard it will make exhaust more poppy, and less. So which is the actual answer to that?

five0merc 02-13-2011 07:13 PM

Hmm I am not sure how that will sound on an older truck but I like how it sounds on mine. On my 82 mercury capri that I had a built 5.0 my exhaust was long tubes and equal length with the same mufflers I have on my truck. And that had a nice sound to it. Still had pop to it and all.

nw150 02-13-2011 07:17 PM

well mine is a 390, and the mufflers are the thrush welded (flow 40) and i've listened to a lot of vids on youtube and think they sound great, i just don't know if i should use an h-pipe or not. drone isn't an issue to me so i don't care if installing one makes it louder, etc. just as long as it sounds good

five0merc 02-13-2011 07:25 PM

You can go without one to start with and then get it added later if you want. I think that would be easier then having one then getting it removed. Just an idea.

avfrog 02-13-2011 09:14 PM

I think a H pipe will sound better for your application anyway.

nw150 02-13-2011 09:19 PM

thanks, yea i was waiting for either you or punisher to chime in. i'll ask the guys at the shop to see what they say before i have them do everything too, although i'll expect them to try to say what i want to hear

avfrog 02-13-2011 09:25 PM

Well and H really mixes well with a lifter motor and chambered mufflers. The only engines this set up sounds good on to me. Will you be catless?

nw150 02-13-2011 09:32 PM

yea i will run catless, as it doesn't have any now, nor has it ever had any because they didn't have them in 75 thank God. I have an idea of having the h-pipe just before the mufflers, so whatever gets backed up before the muffler has somewhere to go kinda, or is that just dumb?

no matter what, going from factory logs, to 1-3/4 long tubes, this thing should wake up:rocker:

avfrog 02-13-2011 09:38 PM

^ Ya that is dumb. Haha. You want the crossover to be as far forward as you can get it. It has nothing to do with being backed up, it's about balancing out the off firing cylinder and equalizing the exhaust pulses. It is the most efficient farther up where the egt is higher.

nw150 02-13-2011 09:48 PM

i mean hey it's an idea lol. but they aren't always smart ones haha. the farthest i'd probably be able to get it would be basically still right before the mufflers. Headers and true duals weren't considered when this truck was designed. The headers exit with the tranny cross member right there in the way, so the pipes have to go down and under that, then stay there and go past the t-case, then back up. so we're talkin about 3 feet or so from the collectors now. then they will go back up in between the frame, then theres the drive shaft right in the way, so another foot or so, then an h-pipe can fit, then mufflers have to be right there. lol. yea

nw150 02-13-2011 09:56 PM

alright frog this is what i'm talking about

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/a...100_149923.jpg

avfrog 02-13-2011 10:02 PM

hmm...

nw150 02-13-2011 10:07 PM

so that's when the question comes, is it still worth it or not. i'm tryin to not go with tailpipes for the extra money and to keep them away from the giant gas tank it has. and flowmaster said something about needing 1' of piping after their mufflers to get the most out of them.

avfrog 02-13-2011 10:20 PM

That won't make any difference. They will sound the best with no pipe after them at all. No turn downs, nothing. Just open at the end of the mufflers.

nw150 02-13-2011 10:27 PM

i'll probably still run a little bit afterwards, because i'm planning on doing those somewhat hidden tips like a few other threads have posted. If you look at my picture again, i'd have some like 3-4" tips just showing under the frame rails. I think that might look cool