OBX longtubes

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OBX longtubes

I picked up a set of obx long tube headers and was wondering if the cats that come with them are good enough to pass a CA sniffer test. I'm not too worried about the visual because the guy that does my smog said he doesn't believe that its right to fail just cause of the way it looks. He said I MUST pass the sniffer though. So do any of u guys run these in California?

Old 01-17-2011, 02:19 PM
Aren't they illegal to run on any newer trucks, the long tubes? Anyways, what year truck? Around here, we beat the crap out of it before the test to clean it out and make sure it's good and hot, seems to work but how strict California is, I don't know. You'd hopefully at least pass, not getting an eco friendly sticker but a pass is a pass.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought long tubes were illegal in cali? If you get some longer OBD2 magnaflow cats you probably can get it to pass the sniffer test. Depends on the year of the truck and how many stock cats came on it.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:05 PM
They are illegal in California but so is speeding and pot... but they bother are here to stay. I wasnt asking if they were illegal I was asking if the cats that come with the ebay kit will pass a California sniffer test. I dont care about the visual cuz my smog guy is a scoundrel

Old 01-19-2011, 09:17 PM
Could you leave a piece missing out of the midpipe thats large enough for your stock cats and just put them in when you are getting tested, and use the exhaust clamps to exchange the stock cats with just piping. This way you can pass exhaust tests on monday, and an hour later be driving down the highway catless.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:15 PM
I don't like the idea of running catless it just don't make sense to me longtubes won't pass reguardless just by being on the truck just wanna know the quality on the cats that come with it

Old 01-23-2011, 02:20 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by f150greg
I picked up a set of obx long tube headers and was wondering if the cats that come with them are good enough to pass a CA sniffer test. I'm not too worried about the visual because the guy that does my smog said he doesn't believe that its right to fail just cause of the way it looks. He said I MUST pass the sniffer though. So do any of u guys run these in California?

- so long tubes are illegal in California

THEN you FAILED to mention if you purchased the catted mid pipes or the resonated mid pipes

Old 01-25-2011, 10:33 AM
No, I was saying illegal in cali because I hear a lot of places won't deviate from anything modified due to their responsibility. Such is the case of going with custom exhausts that have no cats, dual exhaust etc. Since your guy is a shady guy, no worries.

Quick Reply: OBX longtubes