F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Exhaust & Intake Systems (https://www.f150online.com/forums/exhaust-intake-systems-27/)
-   -   Magnaflow vs Flowmaster (https://www.f150online.com/forums/exhaust-intake-systems/358284-magnaflow-vs-flowmaster.html)

mavrik2747 01-02-2009 07:08 AM

Magnaflow vs Flowmaster

I'm sure this has been discussed many times and will be discussed many more. I have originally been a fan of Flowmaster with not knowing much about other brands, just heard about Magnaflow here and there. I was thinking about putting a Flowmaster 50 series SUV, for a little louder sound but to keep my cab quiet. I'm not really looking for a huge hp gain but adding a CAI to help with the mpg. I've noticed here that there are quite a few people partial to magnaflow....what's everyone's opinions?

Also is it best to get the whole kit or just the muffler and take it in to a shop???

stoffer 01-02-2009 01:19 PM

dual post

stoffer 01-02-2009 01:30 PM

what are you planning on running? a single in single out? single in dual out? or a dual muffler system?

i have a 50 series (suv) on my green truck and the lack of noise is disappointing

people rant all day long about the "performance" gains of the magnaflow but the flowmaster isn't holding my truck down and phil6608 is running in the 11's with his supercrew using 40 series flowmasters, i cannot stand the raspy noise of maggies in the higher rpms and the flowmasters with a tune sound great.

I recomend you run a flowmaster 44 series for your truck and you'll be happy with the noise/tone but others will be along soon telling you to get a magnaflow muffler

kodi 01-02-2009 06:59 PM

I had the Flowmaster 50 series delta flow on my '07. I thought it sounded good without being too loud. I put an 18" magnaflow on my current truck. It is much louder.

4wd150 01-02-2009 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by tarajerame (Post 3514591)
what are you planning on running? a single in single out? single in dual out? or a dual muffler system?

i have a 50 series (suv) on my green truck and the lack of noise is disappointing

people rant all day long about the "performance" gains of the magnaflow but the flowmaster isn't holding my truck down and phil6608 is running in the 11's with his supercrew using 40 series flowmasters, i cannot stand the raspy noise of maggies in the higher rpms and the flowmasters with a tune sound great.

I recomend you run a flowmaster 44 series for your truck and you'll be happy with the noise/tone but others will be along soon telling you to get a magnaflow muffler

im with him. id rather have the sound of my super44 than a magnaflow muffler

mavrik2747 01-03-2009 12:54 AM

How much noise does the 44 give ya in the cab?

I'm planning on single in single out. I've also come to the conclusion that it's best to buy the muffler and tip myself, take it to a shop and have them use their pipe to put it all together, just as long as it stainless steel and mandrel bent (I'm in the northwest).

4wd150 01-03-2009 04:36 PM

yes that is what i did. i believe many will will tell you on here that that is the way to go. also the cab noise isnt really that bad with my 44. i kind of like it. there are certain rpm's where its loudest in the cab though.

DarrenWS6 01-03-2009 10:47 PM

The Super 44 is the best Flowmaster muffler offered imo, nothing else they make is as superior to the Super 44s sound, and its the best flowing. I do like the many more benefits of the Magnaflow though ( deeper sound, stainless steel, no restriction, economy gain.. ) but the aggressive sound and loud idle of the Flowmaster is hard to beat.

f150fella08 01-03-2009 11:20 PM

i agree with tarajerame

mavrik2747 01-04-2009 12:08 AM

Hmm all interesting points....I do like the sound of the super 44 but I don't want that much noise in the cab, plus I don't have to have a LOUD exhaust. I'm thinking that the 50 Delta Flow might be best for me, decent sound, hear it when I want to, but still doesn't resonate in the cab too much.

I'm gonna be getting a S&B CAI and Gryphon w/ customs tunes to compliment it so I'm thinking it won't be too bad of a choice.

I've been comparing prices online and so far the best bet is at autoanything for $127(SS) and no shipping if I order by the 5th....not quite sure what tip to get with it. I like round w/ angle cut. Figure I'll keep the same configuration on the system and have it exit behind the rear wheel.

Also forgot to ask, does the size of the inlet/outlet make much of a difference from 2"-3"?

DarrenWS6 01-04-2009 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by mavrik2747 (Post 3516851)
Hmm all interesting points....I do like the sound of the super 44 but I don't want that much noise in the cab, plus I don't have to have a LOUD exhaust. I'm thinking that the 50 Delta Flow might be best for me, decent sound, hear it when I want to, but still doesn't resonate in the cab too much.

I'm gonna be getting a S&B CAI and Gryphon w/ customs tunes to compliment it so I'm thinking it won't be too bad of a choice.

I've been comparing prices online and so far the best bet is at autoanything for $127(SS) and no shipping if I order by the 5th....not quite sure what tip to get with it. I like round w/ angle cut. Figure I'll keep the same configuration on the system and have it exit behind the rear wheel.

Also forgot to ask, does the size of the inlet/outlet make much of a difference from 2"-3"?

Sounds like a plan. A 3" midpipe is the best for great velocity without restricting, or robbing any, 2.5" tailpipes are usually best fitted for a 3" midpipe to equalize sound and left over pressure.

stoffer 01-04-2009 06:43 PM

Go with what Darrin said on the size and I'm sure you'll love the 50 series

mavrik2747 01-05-2009 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by DarrenWS6 (Post 3517325)
Sounds like a plan. A 3" midpipe is the best for great velocity without restricting, or robbing any, 2.5" tailpipes are usually best fitted for a 3" midpipe to equalize sound and left over pressure.

Ok, help me out here I'm still learning...what all would I need for a kit?

Or to make it easier, what all would I need to bring in to a muffler shop (besides the muffler) and what to tell them to go along with mandrel bent 3" stainless steel pipes??? :/

DarrenWS6 01-05-2009 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by mavrik2747 (Post 3518826)
Ok, help me out here I'm still learning...what all would I need for a kit?

Or to make it easier, what all would I need to bring in to a muffler shop (besides the muffler) and what to tell them to go along with mandrel bent 3" stainless steel pipes??? :/

Tips.. Muffler(s) and tip(s) is all you ever need to bring to an exhaust shop, if they dont do work in mandrel bending or stainless, find a better shop.

mavrik2747 01-05-2009 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by DarrenWS6 (Post 3518836)
Tips.. Muffler(s) and tip(s) is all you ever need to bring to an exhaust shop, if they dont do work in mandrel bending or stainless, find a better shop.

Roger that!