New exhaust, drone problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in lamen's terms-look at your muffler as a speaker, is a speaker louder if it is closer to you or farther away? a muffler muffles the soundwaves-hence the name-if it is closer to the cab-vs by the back axle-this speaker is further away,i saw a post on another forum where a guy tested his setup with mufflers by x pipe vs back by axle,less decibles in cab when he moved muffler right before axles, i can put this any simpler...

Old 12-20-2008, 11:43 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CEE21
Thanks Darren. I didn't know about the high flows being straight through as well. But in any case, I am not getting them. I could be wrong on this, but what your saying doesn't make much since to me. If they are designed to absorb the dorne with the wool, that takes down the vibration from the sound. From the headers to the muffler is just a straight pipe letting the sound vibrate through the pipes into the cab until it gets to the muffler. It is like if someone spoke into a wall with insulation versus non, the insulation would absorb the sound and thus make it quieter in that spot. Does that make any sense or am I still missing it?
Well you aren't seeing my point. Drone doesn't come from just the muffler(s), the exhaust pipes will still give a hum off not hearable like it is at the tip, but exhaust with missing compounents can increase drone more, such as, my exhaust was very very calm inside, then I cut my rear cats out & there I finally heard more rumble inside. This is true especially with different pipe grades. Aluminized is the nosiest inside, stainless exhaust piping is much calmer inside since its better metal and longer lasting. And what Openclasspro states is also true and a good example.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:02 AM
drone is in the 1800-2200rpm range of the triton motors,that is one thing the engineers designed into the oem muffler-not to just be quiet ,but cancel out the drone-the drone is naturally caused by the exhaust pulses of the motor...

Old 12-21-2008, 12:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
geez man just put some 94106 hi flow maggie cats on there thats what i would do, or i would move the muffler back to where the tailpipes are dumped behind the axle

Old 12-21-2008, 12:22 PM
Thanks openclass, that makes some better sence. I think I will get some of that raamat. How many layers of it should I put on the rear of the cab?

Quick Reply: New exhaust, drone problem