Is this Magnaflow system a good way to go?

Old 11-20-2008, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this Magnaflow system a good way to go?

I have decided on the this magnaflow setup for my 2004 screw.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...ayphotohosting

I hope to get some power, mpg, etc, but really want better sound. I have read that it would be better to just buy the muffler and tips to save $ but with the pipes included this seems like the best deal. How much should the install be? Thanks. I have 1.5 inch blocks added in the back for a minor lift, hopefully it wouldn't interfere with the pipes, can't look right now it's dark outside!

Last edited by hog tied; 11-20-2008 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:44 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Magnaflow is a great kit, but I would not recommend you buy that kit. The only Magnaflow part about it is the muffler, and possibly the tips. Those hangers are natural steel ( will rust and break later ) and the pipes are crush bent, which slows down performance and restricts flow path, therefor making your economy remain as is or drop lower, and no power gains. Exhaust will not gain you power, it will only free up flow for the engine to breath out better.

I would suggest you buy the magnaflow muffler you want, and tips, and go to a shop and have them smooth bend, or even better mandrel bend your system and install. It will run you maybe $350 overall, but your healthier performance is worth it.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:03 AM
OK, thanks for the info. Also, for $20 more they will supply mandrel bent pipes. I get you on the hangars, not good when I live in snow country. So. I guess I would be looking at around $260 plus install, maybe the same price total as the roughly $350 you estimated?

Also, I am fine with the pipes going straight back, although yours look great out the side. The only drawback to that for me is I live on a dirt road that has aluminum oxide stabilizer. When it gets wet, my tire cotes the exhaust with about 1" of mud that takes a hammer to remove.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by hog tied
OK, thanks for the info. Also, for $20 more they will supply mandrel bent pipes. I get you on the hangars, not good when I live in snow country. So. I guess I would be looking at around $260 plus install, maybe the same price total as the roughly $350 you estimated?

Also, I am fine with the pipes going straight back, although yours look great out the side. The only drawback to that for me is I live on a dirt road that has aluminum oxide stabilizer. When it gets wet, my tire cotes the exhaust with about 1" of mud that takes a hammer to remove.
hmm, well if they are true mandrel bent pipes, then maybe its worth it, though the pipes will still be aluminized, you will still get 3 years or so out of the system. I guess you should buy that kit, and maybe paint the hangers, or go to napa and get rubber strap hangers. Those are much better than solid steel hangers. Less vibration and less chance of corrosion.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:16 PM
Darren,

Thanks for all the great advice. I wonder, what are the oem pipes and muffler made of? Mine have held up ok for 4 years.........I have a 2004 screw 5.4L....

Old 11-21-2008, 02:05 PM
f150store is having a clearance on their magnaflow exhaust, but it's only the single tip rear exit. It is however only $188.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:19 PM

Darren,

Thanks for all the great advice. I wonder, what are the oem pipes and muffler made of? Mine have held up ok for 4 years.........I have a 2004 screw 5.4L....
Stock exhaust is all stainless steel. And no problem

Old 11-21-2008, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by LosBanosF150
f150store is having a clearance on their magnaflow exhaust, but it's only the single tip rear exit. It is however only $188.
Only for the regular cab 6.5' bed

Old 11-21-2008, 04:02 PM
Former Sponsor
I have decided on the this magnaflow setup for my 2004 screw.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...ayphotohosting

I hope to get some power, mpg, etc, but really want better sound. I have read that it would be better to just buy the muffler and tips to save $ but with the pipes included this seems like the best deal. How much should the install be? Thanks. I have 1.5 inch blocks added in the back for a minor lift, hopefully it wouldn't interfere with the pipes, can't look right now it's dark outside!

I agree with Darren on this. That isnt a true Magnaflow Cat Back Kit. When we design our kits they are Mandrel Bent Pipes Made Out Of 409 Stainless Steel. It appears that this kit has compression bent tail pipes and they appear to be Aluminized. Aluminized will looks like painted steel. Our Hangers are welded on to the pipe not like that universal style hanger. The only thing that is Magnaflow is the muffler for sure. Its possible that the tips our ares but without seeing if there is the Magnaflow Stamp on the top of the tips I cant be sure. You need to be careful when buying kits like this on Ebay. These guys are out to make a fast buck. Now you see them and then there gone. Then if you have a warranty issue they arent there to help you out.

Last edited by MagnaFlow_Rep; 11-21-2008 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:25 AM
?

Originally Posted by MagnaFlowRep
I agree with Darren on this. That isnt a true Magnaflow Cat Back Kit. When we design our kits they are Mandrel Bent Pipes Made Out Of 409 Stainless Steel. It appears that this kit has compression bent tail pipes and they appear to be Aluminized. Aluminized will looks like painted steel. Our Hangers are welded on to the pipe not like that universal style hanger. The only thing that is Magnaflow is the muffler for sure. Its possible that the tips our ares but without seeing if there is the Magnaflow Stamp on the top of the tips I cant be sure. You need to be careful when buying kits like this on Ebay. These guys are out to make a fast buck. Now you see them and then there gone. Then if you have a warranty issue they arent there to help you out.
also the ss grade of the oem sysytem is alot lower quality than that of magnaflows btw

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is this Magnaflow system a good way to go?