Best CAI for 97-03 F150's

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 09:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best CAI for 97-03 F150's

Looking at CAI's for my 98 f150 4.6, and i know there seems to be about 10 different brand names, most around a pretty similar price. What does everyone have on there's, and how do they like it?

Old 05-10-2008, 11:53 AM
I HAD a K&N FIPK. It sucked. It sounded nice, but for towin, it didn't do any justice, and my average MPG dropped significantly. 2-3. Don't start asking if i hot rod around, too sensible for that crap. I drive like an old man all day, every day, and the FIPK was a waste to purchase. Now that i'm in an 05, i can't offer ya much. Won't put CAI on this one. Stock intake does just fine. Have a buddy that did the Gotts intake dealy, and he enjoys it. Defintaly did more for him than my $300 CAI. Best suggestions, get a quality air filter, such as WIX HP, anything high filtration paper. The K&N flow a little higher, its been tested and shown, no argument. But it also doesn't filter as well as paper filters. The cost, verses power, verses longevity, and it really doesn't seem worth it if you want to keep the truck around for a long time. Every little piece of dirt is a piece you don't need. Dry filters (esp. paper) will ALWAYS filter better than the oiled. Take that to the bank and cash it.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:43 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Look into S&B, and Volant. Your best bet is an enclosed intake.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:47 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Look into S&B, and Volant. Your best bet is an enclosed intake.
I really like S&B and many people here love their AF1. I sell both, so check out my website and you can see many different options.

Also, you can read about S&b and other filters here at www.thetruthaboutfilters.com

Old 05-10-2008, 04:49 PM
build one yourself.. you'll save a **** load of money and imo its all the same...

whos going to tell you different or that one gains more power over another - the manufacturer? lmoa...
its all branding imo and they want you to believe one is better then the other.

i used same type of filter as K&N uses... for almost nothing in cost.
used the same tubing many companies use... even K&N for almost nothing...

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...=316448&page=5

Old 05-10-2008, 07:35 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Grafix Ink.
build one yourself.. you'll save a **** load of money and imo its all the same...

whos going to tell you different or that one gains more power over another - the manufacturer? lmoa...
its all branding imo and they want you to believe one is better then the other.

i used same type of filter as K&N uses... for almost nothing in cost.
used the same tubing many companies use... even K&N for almost nothing...

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...=316448&page=5
Just because it is the same type of filter as the k and n's....that means nothing. If you are going to be building your own intake, I would say to get yourself an S&B cone filter and you can do the rest. I wouldnt want to cheap out on a part so vital to the truck.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by 05F150SCrew
Have a buddy that did the Gotts intake dealy, and he enjoys it. Defintaly did more for him than my $300 CAI.
You aren't the only one to say that. There are a few other regular members on here that have said the same thing that they like the Gotts intake much better than others. jbrew used to make a bunch of homemade ones and now uses the Gotts and likes it better than others he had built. tarajerame used to have the K&N FIPK or whatever they call it and says that the Gotts intake also out performed it in his daily driving as well. I am also really satisfied with it as well but didn't bother to spend the money on a brand name one so I don't have anything to compare it to.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by Alon@ModBargains
Just because it is the same type of filter as the k and n's....that means nothing. If you are going to be building your own intake, I would say to get yourself an S&B cone filter and you can do the rest. I wouldnt want to cheap out on a part so vital to the truck.
cause its not branded doesn't mean its better nor worse - labeling makes people think otherwise. i'm just saying do it yourself.. 200$+ is not worth it for what it is. this one is pre-oiled, washable, and rechargeable as well.

so from your comment your saying don't go k&n? interesting...
what makes s&b filters better then what k&n makes etc?

Last edited by Grafix Ink.; 05-10-2008 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:16 PM
http://www.thetruthaboutfilters.com/

There's a good reason why AF1 uses S&B filters.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by MudTerrain
http://www.thetruthaboutfilters.com/

There's a good reason why AF1 uses S&B filters.
sounds good.. so whichever get a S&B then.. they're not that expensive either... might get one as well.

30$ tubing + 30$ s&b filter = still hell of a lot cheaper then anything else out there

Old 05-11-2008, 05:23 AM
Suspended
cause its not branded doesn't mean its better nor worse - labeling makes people think otherwise. i'm just saying do it yourself.. 200$+ is not worth it for what it is. this one is pre-oiled, washable, and rechargeable as well.

I am not saying that k&n is bad at all....I have a 77 series on my truck. What I am saying is because it is the "K&N Type" does not mean it is good. I am sure there are many filters out there made in factories that cut corners, do not use the same quality materials, not as many layers, etc. I know that K&N and S&B are trusted names, and when I am changing the part on the truck that filters out dirt into an expensive engine...I'd rather spend a little more money and get the trusted brand name than a knock off and risk ruining something.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:21 PM
I just replaced my paper filter with a K&N filter. I honestly don't see the difference in that and a CAI other than visual appeal. Am I correct in saying so? Its just tubing anyways.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:29 PM
for the record...i love my k&n FIPKII, wouldnt trade it for any other one out there

Old 05-14-2008, 11:47 AM
Just to put in my two cents, I have owned K&N, airaid and currently I have a volant and an S&B on my trucks. The K&N looked and sounded great and I could feel some slight power gains but no improvements on gas mileage. Airaid had a good sound a slight power gains and no iprovements on gas mileage. The S&B good sound slight power gains looks great and about 1 mpg increase; however, I did not like the filter box its not as well made as Volants. The Volant looks good and 2 mpg increase, the only downside is that its very loud. I am not as sensitive as some so it doesn't bother me.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:57 PM
i dont have any faults with my k&n 77 series. noticed better accel. deeper exhaust. prolly no gas increase but im very happy with it

Quick Reply: Best CAI for 97-03 F150's