Silencer in air intake tubing

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silencer in air intake tubing

I know this has been beaten to death after its been dead for a long time, but I reviewed all the past topics on the silencer removal mod and I still don't really see a clear answer to my question.

Is there really a purpose for this thing and is there any reason to leave it the way the factory has it?

Thanks to all!

D

Old 01-11-2008, 06:47 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Purpose = The silencer reduces induction noises. You get more air flow removing it . It's not worth messing with IMO.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:58 PM
Hey brew, I figured that. So its there just to make mr and mrs average driver happy with the intake noise reduction?

Why do you say its not worth yanking it? I remember it was a struggle to get it out when I did it.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Did it to mine a week after I bought my truck.

Really didn't notice any difference besides a really deep induction sound when I gave it a good amount of gas.

Haven't had any problems, so I don't think its harming anything.

I have an AF1 on the way anywhoo.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by NYfordguy
Hey brew, I figured that. So its there just to make mr and mrs average driver happy with the intake noise reduction?

Why do you say its not worth yanking it? I remember it was a struggle to get it out when I did it.

Well , I tried it once and it was a biatch because everything is glued together - mine tore towards the end and I had to repair. Nothing good about the mod IMO - It doesn't do enough to warrent. Better off just saving for an intake. Or making your own - it's just a 3" pipe and Fernco's. I've made 3 or 4 of them - there in my gallery , click on the camera - First album I think..

Last edited by jbrew; 01-12-2008 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:22 AM
Yeah I know I did that with the PVC, but I want to use the factory air box for the cold air purposes, I like the gotts mod with the silencer removed too! How did you get the vacuum lines to connect with your intakes? I was boring holes in the fernco adapters and using brass fittings but they looked like CHIT. Plus the IAC muffler box was really hard to adapt to a brass fitting so I ended up just shoving it into a hole and it still looked bad, like it leaked air around it.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:47 AM

Pace setter sponsors a company called "AIR FX" - I believe you can buy the collars w/IAC-Breather ports from them. They don't advertise much , I've found them before on the net.

I have collected a few stock intakes and use the collars from them. I tried the brass barbs as well. You don't need them and they don't work well anyways. The plastic barbs work better and there light. You can design your own tube - just go to your local muffler shop and they will mandrel bend a 3" section up for you- around 20 bucks.

Like vac lines - if you coat the plug-ins w/mineral spirits , then connect right away , that seals them and you won't need to clamp(shrinks rubber)

Last edited by jbrew; 01-12-2008 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:15 PM
Yeah I saw Air F/X cool ideas! How do they mate the filter to the OEM maf setup? I took a performance filter and it fit good in the maf housing with the rubber coupler on it, kinda cool, i can get a pic for you if you need. I'll look them up again and see if I can get the Iac/valve cover breather port collar. That'd be neat, I'd like to be able to remove the OEM elbow and accordion thingy to adapt right to the OEM air box. Would be an awesome cold air setup no?

Old 01-12-2008, 01:31 PM

That's what I use - stock OEM w/gotts -Schedule 40 thru the fender.

Yea , post a pic of what you did.

Old 01-12-2008, 05:37 PM
I guess this is kind of similar to the Air F/X design from the pictures I've seen.

Gotts intake mod

Filter and box clearance

Filter and OEM maf housing

Filter neck and maf orfice

Like I said I don't know how Air F/X does their setup, but itd be nice to see a closeup detailed pic of how they mate the filter to the maf and if they use the OEM maf housing like I did or if they designed a custom setup, like an inverted maf housing with a longer tube on the end to clamp a filter onto or something.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:27 PM

Yea that's the gotts mod - I just opened the fender up more after the longtube install for more air on demand - Seemed help at higher rpms ,specially after 3600 .

I'm not sure how Air FX mounts to the MAF , I'll grab there catalog in the shop when I go back out their.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:28 PM
Yeah that'd be cool brew!

Old 01-13-2008, 05:10 PM

Alright , - uploading.

Not much help this is all they show.

I can see how it connects or guess - theres a block on the filter (adapter).

Last edited by jbrew; 01-13-2008 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:29 PM
Looks just like a 4 inch to 3 inch fernco reducer. You think it connects to the MAf housing ring that sticks about about 1/2"?

Old 01-13-2008, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by NYfordguy
Looks just like a 4 inch to 3 inch fernco reducer. You think it connects to the MAf housing ring that sticks about about 1/2"?

It kinduh looks that way don't it.. I don't know . I would rather just make my own -

Quick Reply: Silencer in air intake tubing