muffler shop won't install hi-flow cats!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
muffler shop won't install hi-flow cats!!

Hey everyone, I recently called my muffler shop who does very good work. They put on my true dual Flow 40 setup a couple years ago and I've been pleased with them. I've been seriously thinking about getting rid of the 4 stock cats and putting on 2 Magnaflow hi-flow cats. Well, I call trying to get a quote, and the guy tells me that he can't do it because he has 2 different Magnaflow books that say that it can't be done and it'll just set off the CEL. I tell him that I do business with Troyer Performance and that they KNOW F150s, and it says plain as day on their website that 2 Maggie hi-flows will replace the 4 stock with no problems and no need for MIL eliminators. He says well it's not what his book says, that I could call Magnaflow Tech Line and blah blah something like basically get permission from them or something so he knows its legal, but he said that probably wouldn't happen. What should I do?? I thought this guy knew his stuff, but should I just try to find another shop? I live in Alabama and we do not even have friggin emissions tests here! What's the big deal?

Old 04-27-2007, 01:19 PM
Contact Magnaflow Via Email And Print Out Their Reponse. Then Bring It Back To The Shop. I Had My Dealer Do It On A 2001 Mustang I Had. And In The Following Year They Honored The Warrenty On A Tranny Problem. So I Am Sure Someone Will Do It.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A lot of places will not do it (there afraid of getting in trouble) your going to have to look around for a new place.

Phil

Old 04-27-2007, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by STEVEN30
Contact Magnaflow Via Email And Print Out Their Reponse. Then Bring It Back To The Shop. I Had My Dealer Do It On A 2001 Mustang I Had. And In The Following Year They Honored The Warrenty On A Tranny Problem. So I Am Sure Someone Will Do It.
Yeah. What he said. If he still doesn't want to do it just go to a different shop. There is someone out there who will do it for you. Maybe he is just confused because he has 2 books?
Natty...

Old 04-27-2007, 01:36 PM
thanks for the advice everyone, i guess thats what I'm gonna have to do. I guess I'll have to call another local shop who refused to put on true duals a couple years ago lol Well, at least I'm trying to be emissions conscious and not be like everyone and their brother with their Z71s or old YoYotas with no cats/no mufflers lol blame global warming on them

Old 04-27-2007, 04:10 PM
Some exhaust shops dont wanna get in trouble so thats their excuses, keep a look out for another shop nearby

Old 04-27-2007, 05:24 PM
yeah, well i found someone who says they'll do it after they take a look at it. Apparently not too many shops around here know about replacing the 4 stock converters with 2 hi-flow Magnaflows. He says that the new one needs to be like the exact same length as the old one or it'll set off a CEL, that there won't actually be anything wrong, just the light is showing. How many of you have had this done? Will they just bend some new pipe and weld it up in place of where the old front cats are and run it into the new hi-flows?

Old 04-27-2007, 05:28 PM
All they should have to to is pull the 4 cats out, bend some piping and drill in holes to connect the 02 sensors, and then install the high flow cats and connect them to your pipes.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:44 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by ranchhand99
Hey everyone, I recently called my muffler shop who does very good work. They put on my true dual Flow 40 setup a couple years ago and I've been pleased with them. I've been seriously thinking about getting rid of the 4 stock cats and putting on 2 Magnaflow hi-flow cats. Well, I call trying to get a quote, and the guy tells me that he can't do it because he has 2 different Magnaflow books that say that it can't be done and it'll just set off the CEL. I tell him that I do business with Troyer Performance and that they KNOW F150s, and it says plain as day on their website that 2 Maggie hi-flows will replace the 4 stock with no problems and no need for MIL eliminators. He says well it's not what his book says, that I could call Magnaflow Tech Line and blah blah something like basically get permission from them or something so he knows its legal, but he said that probably wouldn't happen. What should I do?? I thought this guy knew his stuff, but should I just try to find another shop? I live in Alabama and we do not even have friggin emissions tests here! What's the big deal?
Well according to our books here at Magnaflow There isnt a 2 for 1 swap.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by MagnaFlowRep

Yeah, I'm sure the guy was telling me exactly what was in his book, but I'm sure he didn't want to get in trouble about it. I'm just going by what Troyer Performance says will work, that's all. Thanks everyone.

Old 04-27-2007, 05:56 PM
That makes sense because it's technically illegal to remove any emission controls.

I'm not saying it can't be done, because I've done it to my truck.
No CELs or anything. But technically you are only allowed to replace a failed emission component...not remove anything.

Old 04-27-2007, 06:06 PM
Former Sponsor
Originally Posted by Jordan not Mike
That makes sense because it's technically illegal to remove any emission controls.

No CELs or anything. But technically you are only allowed to replace a failed emission component...not remove anything.
Theres no application that would allow a 2 for 1 swap. The last year we did that was for the 1996.

Old 04-27-2007, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by Jordan not Mike

What is your exhaust setup exactly? Yeah, I understand that being technically illegal although there are no emissions testing here. If there was, everyone with their freakin Z71s with straight pipes or glasspacks with no cats would be getting some hefty fines. I'm glad Mike Troyer at TP is highly against removing all cats as I've read on here, and I'm glad I'm gonna be doing something that's completely emissions-friendly according to him.

Old 04-27-2007, 07:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Too man of these muffler shop guys are afraid of getting into trouble when it comes to messing with the cats.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:37 PM
Theres no application that would allow a 2 for 1 swap. The last year we did that was for the 1996.
Custom jobs, though any shop can do it.

Originally Posted by ranchhand99
What is your exhaust setup exactly?
I gutted the pre-cats and replaced the mains with Magnaflow high-flows.

I've seen a few setups where the pre-cats were just replaced with sections of pipe...or longtubes that went directly into the main cats.

Last edited by Jordan not Mike; 04-27-2007 at 08:40 PM.

Quick Reply: muffler shop won't install hi-flow cats!!