F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Excursion (https://www.f150online.com/forums/excursion-61/)
-   -   Any mods that will improve MPG or HP??? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/excursion/39261-any-mods-will-improve-mpg-hp.html)

tony_b 09-26-2000 04:49 PM

Any mods that will improve MPG or HP???

Just picked up my 2000 excursion ltd v10, loaded 3.73 gears... was wondering if anyone has bothered doing things like the K&N filter or maybe a MAF meter... did it help with mpg or HP... did it hurt either???

FWIW - so far this is an incredible truck... suprisingly, even my wife LOVES driving this thing...

Dustoff 10-01-2000 05:09 PM

You might want to check the Computer chip section and see if Mike Troyer can help you out. I'm sure that a Superchip will help your performance needs.

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Superchip, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55 rear, class III towing package with heavy duty cooling package, Heavy duty shocks, 4 wheel disk ABS, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, factory leather wrapped steering wheel, FORD bedliner, FORD black tubular cab steps, K&N air filter, mar-hyde rubberized undercoating, Modine climate filtration system, Bugflector II, Mobil 1 oil and filter

Superchips_Distributor 10-05-2000 02:06 PM

HI Tony,

Don't bother changing the MAF, the factory unit flows enough air to support considerably higher power levels, and the aftermarket units lean out the motor, and consequently have to have a custom program done to compensate. Given that the engine can't make use of any more airflow than the stock MAF can support until you are at much higher power levels than you have stock, I wouldn't bother with an aftermarket MAF, but that's up to you of course.

The top 3 bang-for-the-buck mods on these vehicles are:

1.) Optimize powertrain programming with the Superchip - this will add a peak gain of 29 horsepower and 48 lbs./ft. of torque in the 2000 V-10 Excursion. This product is available from us, you can contact us for info on this, our contact info is below, in my signature line.

2.) Reduce restriction in thr air intake tract, using an airbox elimination kit. They are worth about 15 horsepower on the V-10's, and are available in the Online Store here, just click on the link that says "Online Store" to your left. If they don't show it listed for your vehicle, just call the fellow that runs the store, Roger Lemere, at 916-361-2510 and he'll be happy to help you.

3.) Reduce restriction on the exhaust side, using a good cat-back exhaust system. These are worth about 13-15 horsepower on the V-10's. Again, this is available thru the Online Store here, or by calling Roger directly if it isn't listed.

The sum total of those 3 mods will add a very nice performance gain, and also pick up the mileage a little bit. MPG will usually increase by about 1.5 on the V-10's from the Superchip when cruising and not using a lot of heavy throttle, for example. The airflow mods to intake & exhaust are usually worth about 1.0 mpg on average.

You can do these mods in any order you like, all at once, or one at a time, as you prefer.

Please feel free to give us a call if you'd like to go over all of this in detail, we're always happy to help.

Best of luck with your new Excursion! https://www.f150online.com/f150board/smile.gif

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

along1968 01-27-2011 10:47 AM

would this advice apply to a 2000 5.4 v8 as well?

I'd like to do one thing right now to improve mpg and hp. Would a new air intake make much of a difference? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

camopaint0707 01-27-2011 12:23 PM

driver mod

stoffer 01-27-2011 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by along1968 (Post 4475557)
I'd like to do one thing right now to improve mpg and hp. Would a new air intake make much of a difference? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

wow, nice bump of a TEN year old thread

ChrisT 01-27-2011 03:14 PM

:lol: Wow, you did bring up a thread from the depths of, well, some where.

Anyway now that I've padded my post count with a lesser insult than the previous guys who provided absolutely nothing, I'll recommend you read what the second poster (Mike) posted. You can absolutely gain some more HP\MPG with an intake\custom tune set up.

Search around this site a bit, (if you even stay after receiving excellent responses like your first two) particularly the V8 and custom tuning section. There is TONS of information. Not so much here in the Excursion board. Welcome to the site! :thumbsup:

stoffer 01-27-2011 03:38 PM

do the gotts intake mod and get a custom tune...

dsq3973 01-27-2011 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by tarajerame (Post 4475711)
wow, nice bump of a TEN year old thread

At least some people can use the search function.:lol:

glc 01-28-2011 10:50 AM

Good luck - a 2v 5.4 is not enough engine for a bigass Excursion. No matter what you do, it's gonna be down on power and get crappy mileage.

do the gotts intake mod and get a custom tune...
That's about all you can do without dropping some serious bucks.