turn signals and brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2002, 06:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy turn signals and brake lights

My the turn signals and brake lights on my 1997 F150 have recently stopped working. I have replaced the fuse and the stop light switch on the brake pedal, but have no luck.

Old 07-29-2002, 11:43 PM
if your truck is started and running. and you can get shift lever out of park. its not going to be the stop light sw. if that was not working you should not be able to get it out of park.
does your third brake light work. if it does not. then see if your hazards are turned on but not working. try the button in both positions. if hazards come on and flash. make sure lights in rear are working. to see wireing is ok. if hazards are on but inop. you will have no brakelights or turn sig. and if it still does not work. its a good chance you have a broken wire at the turn sig sw. or a bad sw. hope you can under stand what i mean. good luck.

Old 08-03-2002, 05:47 PM
i have the same exact problem. i dont have any fuses out and i also replaced my brake light switch at the top of the peddal.what else could be the problem. i am ready to just take it to the shop and hve them figure it out. if anyone knows anything or has any ideas please help.

Old 08-03-2002, 07:24 PM
what wino said. very good diag advice.

Old 08-08-2002, 11:21 AM
I am new to this site and new to owning my F150. I purchased my 1997 F150 just last, week. While on my test drive I noticed that the turn signals did not work and the hazard lights did not work. I told the dealer where I bought it about the problem . He said he thought it because of the tilt wheel, there is a connection in there that can pull loose if the tilt is aggressively pulled down. Sure enough he pulled the cover off, and that was the problem.

Old 08-25-2002, 08:49 PM
MAR
I have a similar problem. I have noticed though that is related to a connection in the tilt wheel because if I put a turn signal on and tilt the wheel I can make it start or stop itself. Since so many are having this problem, isn't this a safety issue? I have a 1997 Expy. built in summer of 1996. Only has 40K on it. Iassume you have a tilt wheel. trying turning the lights/ turn signals on and holt the tilt level out and move the steering wheel up and down. The lights should follow off and on if this is similar to my problem? If it is I'm not sure what the fix is. Mine is getting worse. I have to search for a tilt position where the signals will function. A dealer fix is going to be expensive.

Old 08-27-2002, 11:26 PM
MAR
found my problem. may be yours too? took off bottom cover on steering assembly by removing 3 screws. removed bottom cover. next find fourth hole in bottom cover. with cover off you will see a ball bearing lock mechanism on the iginition switch. remove positive battery terminal. put transmission in N and put key position the whole way on (against engage starter position. with key in push on ball bearing with a paper clip or small screwdriver while gently pulling out on key and tumbler. once out remove top steering cover with tilt wheel the whole way down. I got this info. from my local ford service manager. once I removed top cover I noticed that there was such tension on the top switch assembly that it broke the clip, probably last winter when the wires were very cold and contracted. the plug was partially in the socket. I then took a heavy duty rubber band and hooked the plug and connector together and reassembled in reverse order. it worked fine after I reconnected the battery. There is very little space under the cover to do much of anything. replacing the plug would be a nightmare.

Old 08-29-2002, 07:42 AM
nightmare? naw, i do it all the time (a few every month). You can replace that whole harness with the multifunction switch harness. Its about 10 inches long and ends on top of the column. All i do is loosen the lower mass jacket and take the knee panel off and then there is 4 13mm bolts that will drop the column into your lap. The just unsnap the old harness and put on the new one. Takes about 10 minutes.

Old 08-29-2002, 04:41 PM
I have this exact same problem, just happened a few hours ago, and I don't have a tilt steering wheel.

It was odd because I was out with a buddy at lunch, just driving along and I hit the left turn signal to make a lane change on the freeway. Signal started flashing normally and then sped WAY up.

Ugh, I get off at 10 tonight and have an hour drive home...where, of course, all my tools and the like are being as that I'm a software geek.

But tomorrow's Friday...and warm...good as an excuse as any to take out the new Cobra for a run. Get more than 50 miles on her.

Old 09-02-2002, 05:13 PM
Got tired of messing, took it to the dealer.

Ground wire had been severed near the spare tire. Replaced, no problem.

Total cost..23 bucks sans tax.

Total time...14 minutes, or thereabouts.

Quick Reply: turn signals and brake lights