2002 F-150 Cruise Control Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2001, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 F-150 Cruise Control Problems

I just bought a 2002 F-150 and the cruise works intermittenly. When I press the engage button the "CRUISE" light will light and then go out if doesn't engage. Sometimes I could press it several times and it would engage, but most of the time it won't engage.

I have taken it to the local dealership three times with no luck. First, they replaced the servo. Then they replaced the wiring harness. Now they say it has a short somewhere and are trying to trace it.

Needless to say, I'm somewhat ticked by all this. After all, the truck only has 1,000 miles on it. Has anyone experienced a similar problem? Or, any idea what may be wrong? If my local dealership doesn't fix it this time, what should be my next step...factory rep.?

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-06-2001, 07:21 PM
B. A.,

Yes I can help.
I had the same problem on my Y2K at 5300 miles.

First it was intermittent operation, I couldn't acertain any rhyme or reason.

Knowing intermittent problems are (nearly) impossible to fix, I continued trying to see if I could somehow identify the conditions that were causing it to not enguage.

Then one time while driving it "released" and never worked again. After about a week I scheduled the appointment for service on a Monday morning hoping I would be driving it home that eve.

Well... it took all week!

I will now type the exact verbage on my service record for you. I don't understand all of it but maybe this will help your dealer.

Here goes:

Road test vehicle cruise control- INOP.
Perform cruise control self test- system passed.
Performed pinpoint test for cruise with no codes, checked all power circuits, Ground C circuits, brake lamp circuits, All OK. Replaced cruise control servo, still INOP.
Re-ran pinpoint test, at end of test found no signal from VSS, this leads you to GEM module and circuits NGS test GEM retrieved Code PO500.
Performed pinpoint test for this code, leads you to replace GEM.
Swap GEM with known good GEM, road test still INOP.
After further diag. without book (only EVTM), found no VSS from PCM, checked VSS going into PCM and had a good signal. Measured pin 60 (A.C. volts), no voltage. Compared to like vehicle and that vehicle had 6 volts A.C. as book specified.
Called for approval P90MR, replaced PCM, verified repair.

So it looks like it was the PCM.

Apparently it is expensive and required approval. As I said it took all week but they gave me a rental Monday eve. and kept me informed each day as they were continuing to resolve.

I also got a free tire rotation and alignment for my patience and understanding.

Good Luck to you...XLT_D

Old 12-06-2001, 09:28 PM
Thanks XLT_D!

I'm going to call them tomorrow morning and tell them to check the PCM, whatever that is.

Old 12-07-2001, 06:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PCM = Powertrain Control Module

This is the main vehicle computer and yes it is expensive. VSS = Vehicle Speed Signal. In XceLenT Driver's case, it would appear the PCM was not supplying vehicle speed info therefore the GEM couldn't do cruise control properly.

Old 12-07-2001, 07:53 PM
I faxed the info XLT_D gave me and they said that was it and ordered a new PCM. They said the info was very helpful. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Here's what I hate about electrical problems...I get in the truck at the dealership and turn on the lights and NO dash lights. So, I go back in and they find a blown fuse, install new and blow it. The mechanic says he replaced the light switch when he installed a new harness trying to fix the cruise problem. Takes out new switch and installs old switch and no more blown fuses. I drive home tonight wondering when my brake or head lights will go out.

Old 12-07-2001, 09:33 PM
Great.
Glad I could help.
Good luck to you.

XLT_D

Quick Reply: 2002 F-150 Cruise Control Problems