F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Electrical Systems (https://www.f150online.com/forums/electrical-systems-67/)
-   -   2001 F150 SuperCrew Keyless Entry (https://www.f150online.com/forums/electrical-systems/521247-2001-f150-supercrew-keyless-entry.html)

Card820 07-14-2019 12:43 AM

2001 F150 SuperCrew Keyless Entry

I have a 2001 F150 SuperCrew with an aftermarket one button remote start installed. On this model year, Ford has so graciously disabled the keyless entry system while the engine is running. Removing fuse #29 resolves this issue but it also disables the overdrive switch. There has to be a wire that goes from fuse #29 to the keyless entry system that disables it while the truck is running. Anyone know how to bypass this feature? I would like to be able to use my factory key fob to unlock/lock the doors while the engine is running.

projectSHO89 07-14-2019 08:10 AM

Disconnect the feed from F29 to the Central Security Module. The CSM is way up high under the dash on the driver's side and has your keypad code printed on a label (if keypad feature is installed) You can probably intercept that feed at C247 located behind the driver's side kick panel. Look for a square 16-pin connector, RED/YELL wire that is HOT in START/RUN. NOTE:. There may be undesired consequences, you'll have to keep an eye out for any.

On second thought, the aftermarket remote may have something hooked up that shouldn't be such that it's applying power to an unnecessary circuit when activated. Did you install it or, of not, get documentation about it?

Card820 07-14-2019 01:45 PM

projectSHO89,

I'm reading that this a "safety" feature that Ford had on these and similar models and years. The factory keyless entry will not work while the engine is running. I am looking for a work around. I do not have the keypad on the door.

projectSHO89 07-14-2019 03:38 PM

I am looking for a work around.
I already gave you that.

The factory RKE system will not work when the ignition switch is in START or RUN. The engine doesn't actually have to be running.

Whether with or without the keypad, the wiring is the same for this particular part of the circuit.

Card820 07-14-2019 03:43 PM

Thank you. I must have misunderstood your post. I will try to isolate the red/yellow wire and see what happens. Hopefully it doesn't affect anything else.

Card820 07-14-2019 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by projectSHO89 (Post 5252608)
Disconnect the feed from F29 to the Central Security Module. The CSM is way up high under the dash on the driver's side and has your keypad code printed on a label (if keypad feature is installed) You can probably intercept that feed at C247 located behind the driver's side kick panel. Look for a square 16-pin connector, RED/YELL wire that is HOT in START/RUN. NOTE:. There may be undesired consequences, you'll have to keep an eye out for any.

On second thought, the aftermarket remote may have something hooked up that shouldn't be such that it's applying power to an unnecessary circuit when activated. Did you install it or, of not, get documentation about it?

UPDATE: I located the RED/YELLOW wire in the drivers side kick panel and took a chance and cut it (leaving room to splice it back together if needed). So far so good!!! I can lock/unlock all the doors with the FACTORY key fob while the engine is running! I have an aftermarket remote start and this was a little frustrating not being able to unlock the truck while it was started by the remote start. So far I have not found anything else that this has affected. I'll keep an eye out and update again later. Thank you projectSHO89!

projectSHO89 07-14-2019 07:48 PM

The one thing that I can think of that might be affected is any auto-lock feature you might have had.

Card820 07-14-2019 09:07 PM

Yes. I did notice that after the fact. The autolock no longer works, but that's not too big of a deal.

Card820 07-15-2019 12:17 AM

UPDATE 7.14.19 (in case others are looking for this solution): Clipped the RED/YELLOW wire in the drivers side kick panel. I can now lock/unlock the doors using the factory key fob while the engine is running with the key and while it is remote started. The auto lock no longer works and the dome light does not come on when unlocked while in remote start mode. The dome light does come on as normal if the engine is not running. So far, those are the only issues I have found. The auto lock and dome light while started are small sacrifices that I can live with.