01 F-150 triton anti-theft issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 02:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
Do you have someone on your island who can copy (cut) the new keys using your original as the master? You will need that first if you key new keys. I've bought aftermarket keys online for $10-15 each that worked just fine.

A "really good" OBDII adapter will run you around $80 (OBDLink MX) and I'm quite partial to them. A cheap one from Amazon or ebay would run $20-30 and, if it works, will also do the job. I'm assuming you have the Windows device covered. Forscan is free, you just have to register to get the extended license. Allow a day or two for that extra process. Do NOT buy a scan tool that's only for diagnostics, it won't do what you want unless you spend a LOT of money.
Thank you very much....there's so many available choices, I'll go with your recommendation on the scan tool...I can get the keys cut no problem on island & save a few $$ too by providing my own blanks...( I'll try the function of the re-cut keys prior to performing the reprogramming )....I did some research on the forscan extended license requirements, looks pretty basic....one last question about the transceiver unit....will the OBII scan tool & forscan program detect a faulty transceiver, or will it be able to reprogram the one that's on there now ? ....should I get one to have on hand before I perform the reprogramming, just in case my present one is faulty, which the scan tool should detect....where do I look for one ( ebay ) ? OEM/ dealer or aftermarket ? many thanks for the help, mahalo plenty

Old 12-18-2018, 02:48 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
The HEC DTM already came up with a DTC of "9600". That equates to a B1600 code if pulled with a scanner. A scan tool isn't going to provide you with any more troubleshooting detail at this point for this problem than does the cluster's information.

The definition for the B1600 DTC is "PATS Ignition Key Transponder Signal Not Received". The basic troubleshooting steps in the manual are:

1. Cut and program a new key. Note: The system must be programmed with TWO functional keys before it will allow the engine to start. If you do not have two functional keys, then you have to use Forscan (or high-end scanner) to program them from scratch.
2. If it still fails, replace the transceiver.
3. If it still fails, replace the cluster (reprogram keys again).

I previously suggested swapping the transceiver first since it requires no special work to be done. It's up to you if you want to go that route first or not. If I lived on an island where everything had to be shipped in, I'd probably load up the shopping cart with everything I *might* need and go from there.

Note: The "5284" means you weren't registering any oil pressure (because the engine wasn't running, of course).

Quick Reply: 01 F-150 triton anti-theft issue