F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Electrical Systems (https://www.f150online.com/forums/electrical-systems-67/)
-   -   new key (https://www.f150online.com/forums/electrical-systems/518066-new-key.html)

jimbo74 05-03-2018 06:45 AM

new key

I have 2001 F150, XLT, 4x4, SCAB, 5.4L. Automatic with keyless entry. I believe I have already ordered the correct rempte fob based on the FCC ID. However, I need to get a couple of spare keys made now as well. Trying to find the blanks, I believe they are a transponder key. How do I figure out what is compatible with my truck?

This is not my key, but mine looks like it:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.f15...594dc1a1e4.jpg

ManualF150 05-03-2018 09:20 AM

H72PT

Can be programed yourself if you have 2 working keys.

Can be programed easily by your local Dealer or by a Car Locksmith (in case you don't have the 2 working keys with you).

Good luck.

jimbo74 05-03-2018 12:24 PM

I only have 1 key

How much is it going to cost to have it programmed?

ManualF150 05-03-2018 01:20 PM

Around $100.

jimbo74 05-03-2018 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by ManualF150 (Post 5235218)
Around $100.

so there is no way to do this by myself without having more than 1 key currently?

I just ordered 2 blanks of amazon, this $100 you speak of, will be for getting ford to get all of them to work together ($100 for the service, not to program each key, correct?)

glc 05-03-2018 04:09 PM

You need to ask the dealer or a locksmith.

The *ONLY* way to program them yourself is if you have BOTH ORIGINAL keys.

jimbo74 05-10-2018 08:54 AM

so I bought some H72PT keys, they seem bigger than what I have.... the little spiked groove on what I have is a lot skinnier than on the new key

Also, the key I have has an S on it?

ManualF150 05-10-2018 10:15 AM

See if it inserts into the ignition. If it does, then it should work.

This is an aftermarket key anyways, so the key head is going to be of a different dimension.

jimbo74 05-10-2018 10:21 AM

well, it does go in, so I guess if that center part was the wrong size, it wouldn't? The head does get tight in the duckbill opening on the switch, but that could just be the new plastic.

If I wake up early enough, I will go take it to get cut, and if they work, time to go to the dealership

on a side note, I did get new remotes and have already programmed them.

ManualF150 05-10-2018 10:25 AM

Yes, if it slides in, when cut it will turn the ignition.

You can try to program the new keys. If it doesn't work, you'll have to take it to the dealer/locksmith.

jimbo74 05-10-2018 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by ManualF150 (Post 5235547)
Yes, if it slides in, when cut it will turn the ignition.

You can try to program the new keys. If it doesn't work, you'll have to take it to the dealer/locksmith.

Yeah, I only have 1 key, so I will definitely need to take it to the dealer from what I have been told on here

projectSHO89 05-10-2018 11:54 AM

The *ONLY* way to program them yourself is if you have BOTH ORIGINAL keys.
Not exactly, see below.

Originally Posted by jimbo74 (Post 5235549)
Yeah, I only have 1 key, so I will definitely need to take it to the dealer from what I have been told on here

Here are your options, as if you were starting from scratch:

1. Get a cloned key from a local hardware store or home center. $65-80. Note: This key CANNOT be used in conjunction with your existing key to program additional keys yourself.

2. Get a compatible key blank. Have it cut (my local Home Depot has been really good about doing this) mechanically. Have it programmed by:
A. Yourself using Forscan (with free extended license), a Windows computer or device, and the suitable OBDII adapter. Cost: Depends on what you have to buy. You might get away with only spending $15 for the adapter if you have a Windows laptop, tablet, or phone on hand.
B. Mechanic, locksmith, either properly equipped, or a Ford dealer. Cost: Varies - call and ask.

3. Go to a dealer or locksmith and have them do it from start to end including selling you the correct blank. Cost: Varies - call and ask.

4. For the really cheap ones of us, do a "Redneck PATS Bypass". See below. Cost: Time and some duct tape or zip ties.

---------------
The Redneck PAYS bypass involves using one working PATS key, duplicated onto cheap non-PATS blanks, then mounting the working PATS key inside the dismounted PATS transceiver and stuffed up under the dash. Affix with duct tape for a true "redneck" touch. Use the common keys for everyday use. Note: Like anything "redneck" there are always potential future drawbacks, you can think of them yourself.

ManualF150 05-10-2018 03:26 PM

My buddy did this in his Ford Windstar a few years ago after one of his kids threw a working key down a 25' deep storm grate.

So yes, there are draw backs, but if someone got that far, then good for them!

FTW, some aftermarket remote start units do the same "redneck" method...

projectSHO89 05-10-2018 08:57 PM

FTW, some aftermarket remote start units do the same "redneck" method...
Sort of. Those put a working key in a box that piggy-backed the regular transceiver.