1997 f15o blows fuse (when using right turn indicator , and when pressing breaks)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1997 f15o blows fuse (when using right turn indicator , and when pressing breaks)

Hello,
I have what i think is two separate issues , The first being fuse number 1 inside the cabin blowing when the right turn signal is used, I have tried disconnecting all lights on the right side of the vehicle and still with no bulbs attached the fuse still blows.

Secondly fuse number 13 in the cabin blows when the breaks are applied. obviously when this happens I can not take the truck out of park or **** it back in to park.

The truck is the 5.4l extended cab with 3 doors.

and help would be most appreciated as i have been working on this now for month. Im afraid what i have is a dead short but I have no idea where to start the search.
thanks again,

Old 04-01-2018, 08:04 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Have you had the cruise control deactivation switch recall done?

Old 04-01-2018, 08:18 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
The SCDS fault would cause fuse blowing (F13) at ANY time and would be unrelated to the application of the brake pedal or turn signal usage but would not affect fuse F1. This is a case where there is a short-to-ground in the right-rear turn signal circuit somewhere downstream of the MFS. This single fault is causing both reported issues.

Do a visual examination of the entire wiring harness from the right rear corner back along the left hand frame rail and up into the engine compartment under the brake master cylinder. If there is a trailer wiring adapter, either factory or aftermarket, start with it.

If you still can't find the short with a visual exam, get one of these to help pinpoint the fault.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by projectSHO89; 04-01-2018 at 08:21 PM.

Quick Reply: 1997 f15o blows fuse (when using right turn indicator , and when pressing breaks)