Intermittent blower motor function after brown out - 2000 F150

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 01:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent blower motor function after brown out - 2000 F150

A few weeks ago my battery connection failed after a series of abnormally humid days.

At the time of failure, the truck powered on normally with the ignition switch set to 'on' as normal... then at starting it just began to crank then everything died.

I cleaned the battery terminals and connectors, slathered it in dielectric grease wiped off excess, then it fired right up. The battery was fine, charging system normal. It hasn't given me any issue with starting since.

However, something is wrong with the hvac control. Since that day, I've noticed that intermittently the hvac will send ac air from the panel/floor to the defroster vent. I can turn the vent control **** and nothing i can do at the panel has any influence when it's blowing out the defroster. (The blower speed selector works during these times.) During the times that it isn't blowing through the defroster vent it all works fine and responds to the control **** selection.

I'm guessing that during the brown-out, some electrical connection or wire must have fried. It may have also damaged other electrical components that I'm not aware of yet. Any ideas?

Old 08-15-2017, 02:44 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
You likely damaged a vacuum line when working on the battery. Outlet register is all vacuum-controlled.

Old 08-15-2017, 04:22 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
The vacuum lines that control that are behind the battery.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the input.

This is indeed not electrical, sorry (feel free to move this thread). I found the culprit. It was a vacuum leak in the reservoir line. You can see the wear marks at my finger in the picture. Pressure was about 6 inHg with the leak open, 10 inHg with covering the leak with my hand, and 17 inHg with the canister hose disconnected and plugged.

I think this didn't get damaged by cleaning battery terminals though. Thanks for suggesting a possible cause though, it actually set me looking in the exact right spot of the prablem.

Anyway, I removed the battery mount and vacuum reservoir, found another wear hole in that vacuum hose. I threw some duct tape on it and the pressure instantly went to 18 inHg.

Attached Thumbnails Intermittent blower motor function after brown out - 2000 F150-img_1104.png