Side Mirrors 2000 F150

Old 08-11-2016, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Side Mirrors 2000 F150

Greetings all,

First post here, hope it is worth your time. So I got this 00 F150 a couple of weeks ago. Knocked off a bunch of things on my punch list and I'm down to the mirrors now. The side mirrors don't react to the switch. Felt funny saying they don't work cuz they are mirrors and never really stop reflecting things which is what mirrors actually do. Its the motors behind them that are the problem!

Checked the switch, pinned out fine and had low resistance. Has power on pin one but no ground on pin 3. When the switch was activated in any position it had 14.6v at all the pins which suggested that there was no ground present. Checked the schematic, found G200 behind the RS kick panel, its clean and tight. Also found a 5$ bill in the process so I'm making money on this job! I substituted a ground and the left side moved out but not in.

It was the RS mirror that blew the 5A fuse #4. Found a pack of them in the glove box too. Clearly not a new problem, just ignored for a while. So based on years of experience I am guessing that there is a wiring insulation issue in the harness someplace near where the drivers door has flexed for 16 years.

I'm posting this on the chance that some of you folks who have had F150s for longer than I have might have another experience to shed some wisdom on this, save me time and surgery.

Cheers everyone and thanks in advance!

Charles

Old 08-16-2016, 03:40 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Charles,

1st welcome to the site, wish it was under better circumstances, but it happens.
- Nice insert of comedy with the mirror "stopped working"

I do not recall seeing this one prior, but I would say you are on the correct path with a broken wire(s) in the rubber boot between the door and the A pillar.
- It is somewhat common for other issues, so checking it is worth a try.

The mirror not moving out on the left hand side could be the motor or it could be the switch or the plastic shaft ( if it what I recall on my 2001 ) being worn smooth in one direction.

When you checked the switch, I don't know if you found cell 149 with the tests or not to confirm the switch operation.

It is difficult to tell with the RS being out of action at the moment, to confirm switch operation so either go after checking the switch ( if this has not already been confirmed ) or go after checking for worn wires 1st as a way of testing the switch.

Dealer's choice.

good luck, hope another member that had it 1st hand has some insight for you.,

Old 08-16-2016, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the feedback Scully!

I'll be Sure and post what I find on this quest. It may be a while before I dig that deep,but I will get it! I'd did find some of the other threads on mirror issues but thanks again for the diagrams. They will be helpful I'm sure.

There could be multiple problems with this one like a broken wire and a bad motor. Just not sure yet. The more I work on this truck the more lost money I find.

Regards,
Charles

Old 08-16-2016, 05:58 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Welcome. Glad you have good spirits. Most people come here for wiring help are pissed off and dejected.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Side Mirrors 2000 F150