No Auto Headlights but Parking Lights ?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 01:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation No Auto Headlights but Parking Lights ?!?!?!

I own a 2004 F150 SuperCrew, new body style.

I don't think the problem is the light switch or the sensor on-top on the dash. The headlights turn ON when on MANUAL position (furthest right), so the switch is working. When the switch is on the AUTO position (furthest left) ONLY the parking (orange) lights turn on, that's why I think it's not the sensor.

I don't see in the manual a fuse specifically for the automatic lights. All the headlight fuses are good. Also, when selecting the AUTO position I hear a cliking noise coming from the fusebox (lower passenger side) and the Body Security Module in the back!

Furthermore, I had replaced the Body Security Module (BSM/VSM) located on the back of the rear seat - drivers side. The Body Security Module came off of a similar F-150, and seemed to work fine just by plugging it to my truck but after searching and reading into this problem I found out that it needed to be programmed specifically to my vehicles VIN number. I took my truck to the dealership today, or should I say STEALership, and told them to re-program my BSM/VSM using AS-BUILT DATA. They told me it would take about 1hr and $115... So after 1hr and paying $128.51 after taxes, I just got a carwash out of it. The re-program did NOTHING! Everything works the same as it did before the re-program. I don't even know if the technician re-programmed the Body Security Module. I don't know if he used the AS-BUILT DATA.
All I know is I got a $128.51 carwash.

Ohh! I don't know if this might be relevant or it might even go hand-in-hand with this problem, but my horn is not working when locking the truck with key fob. The horn does honk when pressing it on steering wheel though. Maybe another feature that the BSM/VSM should control?

Old 06-09-2016, 04:43 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Few questions on what you are doing.

1. Why did you replace the BSM/VSM ?

2. Did the lights work correctly before the BSM/VSM swap ?

3. Did you remove and test the switch with a meter, or are you guessing because the switch works in the headlamp position, that the auto position also works ?

4. Does everything else work as it should ( power door locks, power mirrors, power windows ) ?

I see 2 problems associated with the BSM/VSM and a string of suppositions, which is going to make it a meter testing festival.

Old 06-10-2016, 01:05 AM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Few questions on what you are doing.

1. Why did you replace the BSM/VSM ?

2. Did the lights work correctly before the BSM/VSM swap ?

3. Did you remove and test the switch with a meter, or are you guessing because the switch works in the headlamp position, that the auto position also works ?

4. Does everything else work as it should ( power door locks, power mirrors, power windows ) ?

I see 2 problems associated with the BSM/VSM and a string of suppositions, which is going to make it a meter testing festival.
Thank for your reply

1. Might seem a bit odd, but it didn't have a BSM when I acquired the truck.

2. The Auto Lights did not work before when it didn't have a BSM and they don't work know that it does have a BSM.

3. I am guessing. The switch works on all other modes (even in Auto, parking lights turn on). How can I test the switch with a meter?

4. Yup, power door locks, power mirrors, power windows work... When the vehicle didn't have the BSM, the power door locks didn't work, but the power adjusting mirrors and power windows did work.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:20 PM

That's right, the BCM / BSM / VSM topic from some a few weeks back.

Now that you post it a 2nd time, it is just the headlamps that is not working ( some how I missed that big time ) so the main headlamp switch should be good.

time to check the output of the BSM / VSM, on the Red w/ Yellow Stripe wire.
Check that it is fully in the connector, that the truck's side of the connector is not blackened and that it has power when the autolamp circuit is triggered.
- You can cover it with black electrical tape to test it during the day.

Autolamp cell from the 2006 EVTM, should be the same as your MY ( might have minor connector delta ).

This is what one member had with a similar problem on his autolamp function

Old 06-10-2016, 08:43 PM
time to check the output of the BSM / VSM, on the Red w/ Yellow Stripe wire.
Check that it is fully in the connector, that the truck's side of the connector is not blackened and that it has power when the autolamp circuit is triggered.
- You can cover it with black electrical tape to test it during the day.
The blue 16-pin connector does not look blackened.

I've found the Red w/ Yellow Stripe wire (bottom left corner from behind), seems to be fully in the connector.

How do I check the output of the BSM/VSM on the Red w/ Yellow Stripe wire?

Old 06-11-2016, 12:53 AM

with a meter. BCM wire to a known good ground.

You either need insulation piercing meter ends

or long meter probes

All else fails, you need to strip back some of the insulation, test and tape the damage very well.

Old 06-11-2016, 01:18 AM
Okay, will try with a multimeter tomorrow. I'm still not 100% sure on what I need to test.

Do I test if the Module (black box) outputs power through the pin where the Red w/ Yellow Stripe wire connects to?

Do I test the Red w/ Yellow Stripe wire on the connector itself to see if there's any current actually going into the Module?

What mode on the multimeter?

Old 06-12-2016, 11:19 PM

With the connector still plugged into the BSM/VSM cover the sun load sensor on the dash, and turn the key to the run position and turn the main headlamp switch to auto.

If the BSM/VSM is working correctly, the Red w/ Yellow Stripe wire should have +VDC; when tested to a known good ground.

Red w/ Yellow Stripe wire is the headlamp output.

Old 06-14-2016, 10:14 PM
Made a small hole to stick in probe... ↓↓

Ground... ↓↓

Autolights... ↓↓

...Check ↓↓

..... ↓↓

With the connector still plugged into the BSM/VSM cover the sun load sensor on the dash, and turn the key to the run position and turn the main headlamp switch to auto.

If the BSM/VSM is working correctly, the Red w/ Yellow Stripe wire should have +VDC; when tested to a known good ground.

Red w/ Yellow Stripe wire is the headlamp output.
Hmm... ↓↓

Old 06-15-2016, 07:39 PM

time to check the same configuration, but behind the main headlamp switch now.

If it is not there, need to find where the Red w/ Yellow Stripe wire is broken from the BSM to the main headlamp switch ( and MFS ).

Old 06-16-2016, 03:20 AM
time to check the same configuration, but behind the main headlamp switch now.

If it is not there, need to find where the Red w/ Yellow Stripe wire is broken from the BSM to the main headlamp switch ( and MFS ).
By the headlight switch you mean this one right?...

So the Red w/ Yellow Stripe wire needs to end at that switch, so it'll get activated when in Auto mode I'm assuming?

Old 06-16-2016, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by palomino6294
By the headlight switch you mean this one right?...

That is correct.

Originally Posted by palomino6294
........So the Red w/ Yellow Stripe wire needs to end at that switch, so it'll get activated when in Auto mode I'm assuming?
It does not end there, that is where the autolamp circuit merges with the headlamp circuit from the BSM.

Red w/ Yellow Stripe wire is the same wire color from the main headlamp switch to the MFS in the headlamp position

Old 06-16-2016, 02:57 PM
So I should check what is highlighted?

Do you know where in the truck the "RD-YE" wire split (Main Light Switch & MFS)?

Also, do you think I should check the Violet w/ Orange (VT-OG) wire to see if it actually inputs 'power' to the BSM? I would assume it does have 'power' since it outputs through the Red w/ Yellow (RD-YE) wire.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:05 PM

It does not end there, that is where the autolamp circuit merges with the headlamp circuit from the BSM.

After removing the LH Front and Rear door sills, I found this in the Front sill... Is this what you're talking about when you say that the circuits merge, where they split (S267)?

Furthermore, I found these two wires like this below the hood opener...
Pink w/ Black stripe & Red w/ Orange (peach?) stripe...

And this wire in the back door sill...
Pink w/ Orange (peach?) stripe...

There goes the Red w/ Yellow stripe wire, coming from the BSM I'm guessing?

Old 06-22-2016, 08:31 AM

Did you check the Red w/ Yellow Stripe wire, behind the headlamp switch, for +VDC the same was you did at the BSM/VSM ?

Quick Reply: No Auto Headlights but Parking Lights ?!?!?!