Wiper Blade control - only in park

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Wiper Blade control - only in park

2002 F150 V6 Auto

Bought the truck used in Feb of last yr and has been great. A few months ago, blew a fuse for the dash - all lights, blower, etc wouldnt work. Replaced the fuse and everything has been fine. Took it into my mechanic to have a rear brake job done, just got it back and its raining. Get in, turn on the wipers and they work fine. Turned them off for just a min and then when I tried to turn them back on (as Im driving down the road) they will not turn back on. Stopped to get gas, turned truck back on and then could control them again - still raining so left them on. Just before turning into my drive, I turn them off and then try to turn them back on again - will not turn off nor could I adjust speed.

Parked it and left it alone for a bit then thought about it and went back out to it and tried messing with it while parked - everything worked fine. Could turn it on and off and change speeds, although the speed adjustment was a little slow to respond but it did do it. Put it in drive and went very short distance and while driving - could not control wipers. Put it in park and everything worked again.

Since I seem to only be able to control them while in park, might this be a ground issue? I really am not the type of guy that works on cars/trucks, but thinking this might be something I can handle.

---Also, the washer fluid will not spray while driving (didnt think to try while in park)

Last edited by Orion85; 03-10-2016 at 09:16 PM. Reason: add info
Old 03-10-2016, 09:54 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Are they speed sensitive wipers? If so perhaps the speed sensing circuit is screwed up.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:44 PM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
Could be a problem with the multifunction switch wiring in the column interfering with the shift linkage? If it has a tilt wheel, see what happens in different positions.

Sounds like a pretty basic truck, I doubt they are speed sensitive.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:01 PM
Joe...not sure what you mean. I can adjust speed from the **** but it has nothing to do with the speed im moving.

glc - ill try that, but I never adjust it. Im the only one driving it and I set it since I got it.

Old 03-11-2016, 06:03 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Ford never had speed-sensitive wipers in the trucks.

Follow up on what glc said. Your problem is an intermittent electrical connection, either in the MFS or the column as he suggested.

Old 03-11-2016, 01:05 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Or you have a leaking windshield and your GEM is getting wet

Old 03-11-2016, 01:17 PM
Well, no rain today and everything works fine. I adjust the wheel and everything still working fine.

Quick Reply: Wiper Blade control - only in park