2005 Airbag code 42 - Replaced sensor, light still on

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Airbag code 42 - Replaced sensor, light still on

My airbag light on the dash was flashing the 42 sequence. Upon inspection the forward crash sensor was seen to have a crack in it and some corrosion. I disconnected the battery and replaced the sensor but I am still getting the 42 sequence flashing. Anybody have experience with this sensor?

Old 08-13-2012, 07:24 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
When you pulled the connector off, did you check it for corrosion and damage ?

Few of the threads here, members posted that the connector was in bad shape, and they replaced it curing the "follow" on LFC 42 after replacing the front severity impact sensor.

Might be worth a check to see if corrosion got onto the pins, and started working its way down the wire.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the reply. The connector looked okay to me.

Do you know of a way to test the connector using a multimeter? Is there a way to test the sensor in case I got a bad one.

Also where could I buy a new connector? I did not see a part number listed for the connector on the illustration for the sensor and mounting bracket.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:01 PM

If both sides of the connector pins were clean, it could be the sensor.

The only way I have seen ( in the service manual ) to check the sensor is with the IDS ( replaced the WDS ) test equipment with the SRS section. It has a feed and return to the RCM.

The wiring you could unplug the RCM and front impact severity sensor and jumper one side and check resistance. You would have to make sure you have a good connection to the jumper, else you are going to get a false reading.

The connector is part of a larger wiring harness. You could get another form the bone yard or check the connector manual to see if you can find one like it, but this is a non issue. You posted it was fine.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:28 AM
air bag light

Im having this problem too. Replaced the sensor because I was getting a 4 2 code. Its still flashing the same code. The connector looks ok. Do the connectors go bad also? Someone help!

QUOTE=SSCULLY;4883445]If both sides of the connector pins were clean, it could be the sensor.

The only way I have seen ( in the service manual ) to check the sensor is with the IDS ( replaced the WDS ) test equipment with the SRS section. It has a feed and return to the RCM.

The wiring you could unplug the RCM and front impact severity sensor and jumper one side and check resistance. You would have to make sure you have a good connection to the jumper, else you are going to get a false reading.

The connector is part of a larger wiring harness. You could get another form the bone yard or check the connector manual to see if you can find one like it, but this is a non issue. You posted it was fine.[/QUOTE]

Old 12-16-2012, 05:15 PM

I have seen 1 thread where the member needed to replace the connector as well ( too corroded / damaged to reuse ).

Don't have a 2007 LFC table handy, the 2006 should still work, but keep in mind it very well could be slightly different.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:12 AM
Here is what ended up happening with me, hope this helps.
I did end up replacing the harness because I was was still receiving the flashing 4-2 code after replacing the sensor.
Because of the where the sensor is located it is very vulnerable to water. What is even worse is the plug connects from the bottom so gravity pulls the water in to the connector.
My sensor was definitely corroded and cracked but the connector looked fine. So when I connected the new sensor I put tape around the plug to keep the water out. But I still got the 4-2 flashing, so I replaced the harness. But even with the new harness I was still getting the flashing code.
Believe it or not this when I removed the tape the 4-2 flashing code went away. So if like me you used tape then remove the tape and it should work. If you did not use tape then make sure there is free play in the wire to the harness. I think this connector is very sensitive and if it is binding or mis-aligned you will still get the 4-2 code.
That's my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: 2005 Airbag code 42 - Replaced sensor, light still on