no power at fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 01:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no power at fuel pump

2002 Ford F150 5.4 4X4 the fuel pump relay seems to be working, i hear it click using a test light but the light barely glows (my buddy suggested this might indicate a grounding out condition or something else is pulling off this relay), but no power is going to the circular 4 prong connector that connects to the fuel pump. I do not have dashes on the odometer, the theft light is not blinking, could the fuel pump driver module be the culprit, the last morning i was able to drive my truck my battery light was coming on and going off intermittently, then totally died later on the way home and has started briefly a couple of times but dies shortly after, now my battery seems to be going dead, could a low battery also cause the fuel pump not to turn on? also i have checked all fuses and the fuel pump reset in the passenger kick panel

Old 09-12-2012, 04:35 PM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Seriously, fix the dead/weak battery problem first, likely an alternator problem. Otherwise, messing with the fuel pump is like a doctor treating a broken leg first while the patient is bleeding profusely.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your truck does not have a FPDM like the 04+

Old 09-13-2012, 04:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Project is right, the cart goes after the horse, not before it.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:47 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Try swaping the fuel pump relay with one from the trailer tow adapter ( seem to recall the battery charge relay is the same size ).

The battery issue does need to be addressed ( as noted above ) but if you are not getting the same power on both sides of the relay, this would be my suggestion.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:30 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
If the battery is dead, the relay doesn't matter.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
charged the battery, replaced the alternator, then jumped the fuel pump relay to pressure the line and the fuel pump did not turn on as i got no pressure and did not hear it come on, is there any way to verify if the fuel pump is bad, i have heard of wiring it straight to the battery to test it, or should i be looking somewhere else, the fuel pump is less than 4 years old. when i do jump the relay i get power to 1 out of 4 prongs on the harness that goes to the fuel pump is this correct. I have tried eight different relays

Old 09-16-2012, 11:11 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The 4 wires ( from the 2001 EVTM )

Pink w/ Black stripe wire = + VDC from the Fuel Inertia switch
Black = Ground

Fuel pump module ( fuel level )
Yellow w/ white stripe wire = to the instrument cluster
Black w/ Orange Stripe wire = Ground ( ref for gauge ).

If you have power to the Pink w/ Black stripe wire you know that part is functional from the fuse ( through the relay and inertia switch ) to the harness at the fuel pump.

Did you happen to use the ground on the connector when checking for VDC at the Pink w/ Black stripe wire ? ( make sure it is not a ground issue ) ?

did you try smacking the bottom of the fuel tank a few times with a rubber mallet ( don't use a hammer it can damage the tank ) ?
- Some times the fuel pump will hang up and slugging the tank will break it free. give it 8 to 10 smacks and a second before trying it.

Quick Reply: no power at fuel pump