Adding a new terminal???

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Adding a new terminal???

Hey guys how is everyone?? Well I have officially decided to take up a hobby in doing minor electrical upgrades to my 150. I have alot of parts ordered to build myself a led light bar for the front of my truck. My main question is that I have seen guys on separate forums adding a 12 block terminal to help with adding of new circuits. If everything goes to plan I'll be building more leds bars to add to the rear and possibly another in the bed. Mainly just wondering if anyone has ever tried to an additional terminal to their truck.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You have a few options for adding a fuse panel.

1. Centech
they make a normal and split version of the 60A fuse panel.
The normal one is constant hot ( or all ign switch driven ) or the split is 40 & 20 A which can be setup up either way ( the 40A side as constant hot or hot with ign ).

2. Fuseblocks
They make a 30A fuse panel that each fuse is selectable as to if it is constant hot or hot with ign.

3. Blue Sea.
These are generally a bit more expensive as they are specifically made for boating segment, which everything seems to cost 30% more when it is tagged this way.

All 3 are made to be installed out of the cab, so under hood it fine for them.

I used the fuzeblock on my motorcycles and the Centech I had on one of the motorcycles I installed on my '06.

Centech also has the 70A relay harnesses for powering the fuse block if you decide to make it all hot with the ign switch.

I have a split ( with the 40A as the constant hot ) on my '06, I don't really use the hot in ign switch side of it, as the items added usually has a relay that is powered as needed ( what is controlling it ).

If you are adding wiring to the rear of the truck, take the pain now and install some 12/4 trailer wiring front to rear or a 12/3 SOJ extension cord wire.
You might only need 1 circuit today, but Murphy's law says you will need another in 30 days, so take the pain now and run more than you need.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the response. I have looked at the BlueSea, but not any other that you have listed there. The led light bar that I'm building I would like to be able to operate with jus the ignition on, that seems real cool. As far as wiring is concerned, what would be the gauge that is normally used. I've got a pretty extensive list of items I'm purchasing, I want this thing to really be top notch. I've seen some guys doing the "Big 3" is that somethin I should do since I'm adding a distro block. Thanks

Old 08-13-2012, 07:09 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This is what I was getting at with I do not use the hot w/ ign section of my Centech too much. The relay to operate it would get the coil power from something that is the correct position.
- Do you have the fuse panel dead or just the power to the switch that controls the relay coil - operating the device ?

Feeding the fuse panel itself, 10 AWG would do the well.
No need to go completely over kill unless unless you have something that has a high current in rush at start up.

Each device, the wire size depends on the load and any current inrush as to what size to use.

No need to do a big 3 or big 4 just for this.
You will have segregated power and ground to the fuse block for the devices, so it will not be using the truck's power or ground system.

Just keep in mind the total Amp draw to the panel. At 60 A you should not be passing this, but if the total is larger, add another panel.

Quick Reply: Adding a new terminal???