Illumination not working!! HELP ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Illumination not working!! HELP ASAP!

I have an 04 f-150 crew cab. The illumination that displays my temp, milage, and direction (north, south, east, west) is not lighting up? All my guages and dials in the dash are working fine and lighting up, but that little rectangle box that displays what I mentioned above doesnt light up! i only have 70,000 miles on my truck and i thought it was odd for this to happen. What would cause this and what do i need to check/do to fix it?? Thanks!

Old 11-12-2008, 08:22 PM
same prob

man i just did a very extensive install on my 2005 fx4 and now i have the same problem with my odometer illumination. it must have to do with a bad ground or loose wire??? Installed in dash nav, amplifier, all new speakers. tons of wiring...

Old 11-13-2008, 08:06 AM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by jwill913
man i just did a very extensive install on my 2005 fx4 and now i have the same problem with my odometer illumination. it must have to do with a bad ground or loose wire??? Installed in dash nav, amplifier, all new speakers. tons of wiring...
Yea I am hoping that is it, but I dont not know where to start looking. I havent done any modifications to my eletrical system since I bought my truck! it just went dead........Everything else lights up. I am hoping it isnt a cluster issue bc I know you have to replace the WHOLE thing if the cluster is the issue. CAn somebody PLEASE tell me some things to check b4 I start leaning towards the cluster issue!! Thanks

Old 11-13-2008, 09:22 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Hoyt1986
I have an 04 f-150 crew cab. The illumination that displays my temp, milage, and direction (north, south, east, west) is not lighting up? All my guages and dials in the dash are working fine and lighting up, but that little rectangle box that displays what I mentioned above doesnt light up! i only have 70,000 miles on my truck and i thought it was odd for this to happen. What would cause this and what do i need to check/do to fix it?? Thanks!

if part of your cluster is lighting up, but not all of it, you probably just have a couple bulbs burnt out in the cluster... very easy to change ... my xlt cluster had the illumination for the odometer go out... at the time i thought i needed a new cluster so i upgraded to an fx4.. upon removeing the xlt cluster i noticed that each gauge has its own light bulb!! could have just fixed it but i like the fx4 design alot better !!

Old 11-13-2008, 09:48 AM

Here are some pics of the back side of the cluster .... see the gray and black button looking things .. those are the light bulbs

Hope this helps you!!

Old 11-13-2008, 12:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry guys. Been there and done that and there's no "bulb" to light up the LCD Information Center. There's actually a back light built into the LCD - just like your phone or watch. When the back light goes bad, there is no way to replace it. You have to replace the entire instrument cluster. That's about a $300 item (and it needs programming) from your dealer. I've just gotten used to not being able to see it. Sorry to bring you the bad news.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by 2stroked
Sorry guys. Been there and done that and there's no "bulb" to light up the LCD Information Center. There's actually a back light built into the LCD - just like your phone or watch. When the back light goes bad, there is no way to replace it. You have to replace the entire instrument cluster. That's about a $300 item (and it needs programming) from your dealer. I've just gotten used to not being able to see it. Sorry to bring you the bad news.
Thinking that maybe your smarter than me, I decided to reinstall my old xlt cluster and remove the bulb behind the lcd display, i replaced it with another bulb from the cluster to test this .... and what do you know it works the lcd lights up ... here are two pics both with the headlamps on .. you can see in the first pic no illumination to the lcd and in the second pic it lights up

this is an easy diy fix!!

Old 11-13-2008, 02:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I never claim to be smarter than anyone. I was just reporting what my (trusted) Ford dealer Service Writer told me. I may just have to try that one. How hard is it to pull the cluster?

Old 11-13-2008, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by 2stroked
I never claim to be smarter than anyone. I was just reporting what my (trusted) Ford dealer Service Writer told me. I may just have to try that one. How hard is it to pull the cluster?
2 screws on the lower panel under the steering column.... 2 more screws on the panel around the cluster ... both panels have a snap in fasteners on them holding them in on the top ... i think there are only 4 screws holding the cluster in the dash... two wiring harnesses on top ... i am making this sound way harder than it is ... should only take you 10 minutes to pull the cluster out of the dash ... if i knew you where interested i would have taken more pics on how every thing is held in ... sry

just found this .. much more indepth than i was and it has pics
https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...y-install.html

Last edited by 04F150supercrew; 11-13-2008 at 02:26 PM. Reason: link
Old 11-13-2008, 02:22 PM

oh yeah almost forget, the lcd does not illuminate until the ignition is on !!!

Old 11-13-2008, 04:09 PM

Thumbs up

WOW thanks for the info man!! VER HELPFUL! My dealer told me the same, that I needed a new cluster! I might have to try what you are talking about! Where exactly do i get the bulbs for it?? Never seen those type at wally world? Auto zone??

Old 11-13-2008, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Hoyt1986
WOW thanks for the info man!! VER HELPFUL! My dealer told me the same, that I needed a new cluster! I might have to try what you are talking about! Where exactly do i get the bulbs for it?? Never seen those type at wally world? Auto zone??
Ford dealer only im guessing.... i would contact Tasca ford, they should be able to locate it for you!!

Old 12-05-2008, 06:43 PM
Lightbulb LCD and LEDS

I went thur the same thing, Ford saying you have to replace the whole cluster. I replaced all my bulbs with LEDS, white, and they work great. The backlite and indicator lights, replace them all, same LED. I did notice that several others are talking about the LCD not showing anything or an intermitant display problem. Ford says you have to replace the whole cluster, not betting on it. If you take out your cluster and remove the front glass, peek under the front corner near the LCD. You will see a set of long pins going to a socket. If your LCD is not seated good it will display on and off. It is my professional opinion, as an electronics tech, that there is no memory or brains in the LCD, it is in the cluster. So if your display is bad I would bet you could go to a scrap yard, get a cluster and change the LCD out and it would work. The only time I think any kind of programming with the computer would be needed would be if you traded out the entire cluster. I bet the cluster a memory for the milage that has to match the computer. Not 100% for sure but would love to know if anyone tries it.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:51 AM
Does the dimming work properly with LED's? Do you have a model or link to the bulbs you used?

Thanks

Old 04-05-2009, 08:59 PM
Replaced the bulb in my odometer cluster today and boy is it nice to have a light there again at night! About an hour and a $1.50 bulb to repair. Like someone else posted I pulled a turn signal bulb out to test it and it worked!!

Now how pissed should we all be?? I'm not the only one told by the dealer that the "ONLY" fix was a new instrument panel cluster to the tune of $600. Are service departments completey unaware of the repair or would Ford rather sell instrument panel clusters??

I sent the Service Adviser at my dealership an email and he knows how PO'd I am. I'll be curious to see if I get a reply...

Thanks to 04F150supercrew for posting the link with the pics and directions, it really made it simple!

So according to my math I know have $597 to spend on other things, I bought a two pack of bulbs at $3.

Quick Reply: Illumination not working!! HELP ASAP!