Electronically inclined. Question about wiring up 2 things.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electronically inclined. Question about wiring up 2 things.

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section. I have a couple questions about wiring. I want to do 2 things, and need to know if it's possible and if so what the best way to go about it would be.

First thing is my radar detector. I want to wire it in a way so that I don't have to keep plugging and unplugging from the cigar lighter. And possibly turn on/off when the truck is. I currently have to wire running through the dash and coming out near the glove box to the cigar lighter. Always getting in the way though.

Second is I'm having a "plate" made that fits where the cigarette lighter(center dash) is. It's going to have letters STX cut out with a red film behind it. So I want to run some LED's behind it so it'll light up. How can this be done? Anyway it can be spliced into the now useless lighter wires? And also how could it be done so it'll go on/off with the truck, or atleast hide a switch somewhere?

Anyone help would be greatly appreciated.

Rob

Old 09-24-2010, 09:31 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Radar detector
- If this is up on the visors you can use the White w/ Lt Blue stripe wire with an inline fuse. This is the accessory delay.
If you keep it on the dash, use an add a fuse in the slot for the radio.

Both of these will have the unit on, only when the key is in the accessory or run position, or until the door opens after turning the truck off.

The LED you can do the same way, if you want it illuminated any time the truck is on, regardless of the main headlamp switch position.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:22 AM
Thanks.

With the radar detector, I was planning to buy a mount that connects to the mirror and run the wire through the "roof" and down a pillar(which ever one is closest to a place to wire it up. So all I need is a add-a-fuse for the radio on the fuse box? Probably will need to buy longer cord. Don't think mine will reach all that far.

With the LED, it can be put in the same add a fuse as the radar detector/radio? And what about wiring from the LED to the fuse box(or where ever it'll go) ?

Sorry, I'm a n00b.

Old 09-25-2010, 02:26 PM

You can run the wire down the A pillar if you want to keep it separated or do the power from the accessory delay in the overhead.
I use the latter method on my 2006, and did this on my 2001. Just be sure to have an inline fuse ( ~ 1 A ) if you do this. Keeps everything in the overhead console, and all you have is the cord snaking out the side of the overhead console.

A good quality pink scotch-lok is all that is needed to install the inline fuse, and get it connected to the radar wiring harness. No need for a longer cable with this.

Yes, if you want the LEDs on anytime the radio can be on, you can just use the add-a-fuse to the radio fuse slot, and you will be all set, making the new circuit.

The LEDs, the wiring you can run the same route as the antenna, it should be an orange coax cable from the radio to the fender, just above the fuse panel. Once you have the center trim panel out, you will see the radio antenna, and it runs behind the glove box.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:48 PM
im not familar with the electronics of a radar detector but if you have a cig. lighter plug on it be cautious about cutting the plug off it. i know for a fact if you cut it off a portable navigation unit it will not work. i was told by tech support there is something made into the workings of the plug that reduces voltage to the unit. they do not work on a true 12 volt system.

Old 09-25-2010, 10:09 PM
All the ones I've seen run just fine with 12V. It's why you can just use things like the Invisicord, which just taps into your mirror dimming circuit.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:40 PM
SSCULLY, are these what I need? Haven't decided which way i'm gonna go but it would be one or the other of these correct?

Link

Link 2

Old 09-26-2010, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by LonestarROB
SSCULLY, are these what I need? Haven't decided which way i'm gonna go but it would be one or the other of these correct?
...<snip>....

Both of those are correct.
The Add-a-fuse is for the LED and the radar unit if you go that route.

The hardwired adapter would work for both ways of wiring it.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:41 PM
Some radar detectors do use a 9V adaptor built into the cigar lighter plug, so check the SPECIFICATIONS pages in the detector owner's manual. If it says anything other than 12-18VDC, don't try to hard-wire it without the recommended hardwire adaptor from the manufacturer.

I'd run the LEDs off the dash illumination circuit (PWM dimmed) so they only come on when the lights are on, and dim with the rest of the dash. I don't remember that wire color, but SSCULLY probably does. It should be available at several locations near that cigar socket.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:51 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
let me know if you need help with the wiring, or anything.

also i can pull up any diagrams you might need.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:57 AM
Thanks Patman, may need those later. Project is temporarily on hold right now because I can't find a mirror mount for my radar detector .

Found some LED's at autozone yesterday that just may be perfect for what I need though.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:29 PM

When I get back at the office, I can take a picture of the bent flat stock to visor screw for my V1. Not pretty but cheap and functional.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:47 PM
Probably going to have to somehow make my own mount or ditch this radar detector project. Just can't find a mount for the model.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:33 AM
Why do you want it on the mirror? It'll just add weight & bulk, which will both make it easier for the mirror to shift during rough driving. Put it on the glass, the visor, or a custom bracket screwed to the roof above the headliner.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:52 AM
Don't HAVE to have it on the mirror, that would just be the most convenient. Would be out of the way when putting window sun shield up and down. It's on the glass now. Guess it could be put on the glass above the mirror. Will have to check for spacing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electronically inclined. Question about wiring up 2 things.