Android phone + ELM327 = cool

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 11:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Android phone + ELM327 = cool

I bought an ELM327 bluetooth OBD II adapter on ebay and downloaded the "Torque" app from the market on my Droid. This allows me to check/clear codes and watch parameters in real time on my phone. I have an '08 4.6 Screw and the app shows full throttle percent as 22.7% in park/neutral but only 76.1% in drive. Am I really being shorted 23.9% of my throttle? Anyone else tried this setup and could post their readings?

Old 03-23-2011, 11:48 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What is the actual parameter it is reading for that section ?

The parameter full throttle percent ( neither is full throttle or throttle percent) is not in the 2006 OBD guide.

When in drive, are you sitting still ( foot on brake ) or driving ?

The parameter Throttle Plate Position Controller (TPPC) Output is used to control the throttle angle ( chip embedded in the PCM ) in terms of duty cycle.

0% <= DC < 5% - Out of range, limp home default position.
5% <= DC < 6% - Commanded default position, closed.
6% <= DC < 7% - Commanded default position. Used for key-on, engine off.
7% <= DC < 10% - Closed against hard-stop. Used to learn zero throttle angle position (hard-stop) after key-up
10% <= DC <=92% - Normal operation, between 0 degrees (hard-stop) and 82 degrees
- 10% duty cycle = 0 degrees throttle angle, 92% duty cycle = 82 degrees throttle angle.
92% < DC <= 96% - Wide Open Throttle, 82 to 86 degrees throttle angle.
96% < DC <= 100% - Out of Range, limp home default position

Is this the parameter that the s/w is calling full throttle percent ?

Old 03-23-2011, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the reply Sscully. The s/w calls it only "throttle position".

Old 03-23-2011, 12:29 PM
Oh, moving or not makes no difference. It stayed the same 76.1% from 0 to 60+ mph and sitting in the parking lot with the brakes on.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:30 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Time to ask the MFGR that is using the ELM 327 chip set ( you never said who the mfgr of the final product ) about it, could be the software also ???

I can guess the Throttle Plate Position Controller parameter is what they are using for this, but the manual should say which code is which, if they are hiding it behind screens ( B&B product actually scroll through the OBD parameter list, so the name on the screen is the OBD name ).

Old 03-23-2011, 05:48 PM
This is the adapter I have: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bluet...motiveQ5fTools
I will send a message to the s/w developer and ask what parameter he is using for the throttle position.

Thank you for your input SScully!

Old 04-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by MentalDefex
This is the adapter I have: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bluet...motiveQ5fTools
I will send a message to the s/w developer and ask what parameter he is using for the throttle position.

Thank you for your input SScully!
lol china, it says right in the description of the app that the chinese ones could be defective so them might not be working right.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:15 PM
I bought the same interface from the same eBay person and just received it today. It works fine in my Hyundai Sonata but I have not been able to get it to work in my 2003 F150. I have written the eBayer and explained my problem. I am interested to see what his response will be. I am also using a Android phone. If you have any blinking icons in Torque or don't see little green blinking dots in the center of the gauges then you have a communication problem.

Quick Reply: Android phone + ELM327 = cool