adding stock foglights

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2001, 04:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question adding stock foglights

I have a 99' Flareside regular cab without foglights. I bought a complete set of foglights and bought a new fog light wiring harness from Ford. Ford did not have a diagram showing how the wiring harness goes on the truck. My truck already has a fog light style headlight switch in it. Does anybody know how to install this harness or where I can get the information at.

Have:
99' Flareside regular cab
2 chamber flowmaster
ARE Z-series cap
Alpine stereo system

Want:
Computer chip
K&N generation II air cleaner

Old 01-14-2002, 09:02 AM
I HAVE A 99 XLT,I ALSO BOUGHT THE FACTORY FOG LIGHTS AND AM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO HOOK THEM UP.WHAT WIREING HARNESS DID YOU BUY FROM FORD?MY TUCK HAS THE WIREING FOR THE LIGHTS BEHIND THE GRILL BUT IT DOES NOT HAVE THE WIREING FOR THE SWITCH.I HAVE YET TO GET AN ANSWER FROM ANYONE ON THIS.
HAVE YOU GOTTEN THEM WIRED UP YET?
ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

3 INCH SPINDLE LIFT
WETERN MOTORSPORTS VELOCITY TUBE
16X8 EAGLE 143'S
K&N FILTER

Old 01-14-2002, 03:36 PM
If your truck did not come with fog lights, the switch does not have the contacts in it to run the fogs. The kit that I purchased came with a new switch as well as the lights, wiring and valence.
On mine I spliced into the headlight low beam (some have used the parking light pwr so the fogs could be on with the parking lights). I used that to power a relay that came in the kit. I then used a tap off a 12 volt source on the right side of the firewall near the top and ran that through the relay to the lights. All the wiring I used came with the kit. The way mine is set up the fogs come on whenever the headlights are on, I did not use the switch.
Jeff

Old 01-16-2002, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the info Jeff. Did the kit you bought from Ford have any instructions with it? The wiring harness I got from Ford did not come with a switch or instructions and the fog lights I bought are used. I think I get what you did with your truck, but my wiring harness is so long it looks like the power tap would be under the dash. Could you post some pictures of what you did? I think some pictures would help me and GLCOOPER with our installs. Thanks again.

Anthony

Old 01-16-2002, 08:17 AM
some pics would be great.hey johnson505,what harness did you purchase from ford?i am curious due to my truck has the wireing
for the lights behind the bumper,and has the relay but no wireing inside to the switch.i guess if i have to i will wire them up like aftermarket lights.
thanks for the help.

Old 01-18-2002, 07:23 AM
GLCOOPER,

The part number on the wiring harness I bought at the Ford place is XL3Z 15A211 BA. This harness is different than the stock harness on my father in-laws SCREW. It is for adding fog lights to a truck that did not come with them.

Old 01-19-2002, 11:53 AM
johnson505,

thanks for the part #.i went ahead and used an aftermarket relay and wireing and wired the lights to the parking lamps.now the fog lights come on when i turn the parking lights on.i did not want to have a seperate switch inside the truck.i will run them like this and see how i like it,if not i will wire a seperate switch.
thanks for all of your help.

Old 08-30-2006, 12:23 AM
bump.

apparently this is an old concern.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:11 PM
I have an '01 XLT 2WD Screw, that came with the fog light wiring, relay and fuse. I installed the Harley style projector headlights, and wired the 2nd set of lights to the fog light connectors. I changed out my original Motorcraft SW5555 with with a SW5556 (with the fog light position), and they work fine. Now I want to replace my lower bumper valence with the type that has the fog light holes. Can anyone recommend a place to get the valence?

Old 08-01-2009, 11:56 AM
Installing OEM Fog Lights

Bought my truck from a guy who ran into a ditch and busted the fog lights. I bought some replacements and was trying to hook them up. Passenger side plugged right in. Driver side has a different plug and I don't know whats up. Help!

Old 08-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2 things.

1. can you post some info on your truck, or complete your profile.

2. Where did you get the replacements at ?
2.1. Both the fog lamp and the bulb.

The only reason the connector should be different, is if you got the wrong bulb.

Old 08-02-2009, 03:12 PM
Wow... this thread is almost 8 years old. Im surprised as to how few answers the original question got

Old 08-03-2009, 06:56 AM
I have a 2000 F150 Extended cab Lariat.

Bought both the lamp and bulb off eBay. I have pictures posted in my profile. Both lamp sockets are the same. I'm thinking the driverside plug/wire was ripped when the previous owner ran into a ditch and busted the foglight assembly. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by GHS-IV; 08-03-2009 at 07:53 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:00 AM
Could you take a picture of the plug? Maybe the previous owner tried to fix it by splicing in a wire connector, not knowing which one?

Old 08-03-2009, 09:42 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This was plugged into a bulb before ?

Trying to remember if this is what the DRL resistor connector looks like, it sure is not any type of bulb connector.

Picture of the DRL resistor location ( looks to be the same harness loom ).

There is not a connector for the factory harness for the fog lamps behind the bumper, it is a direct splice to the other side.

Take a look at the wire, and see if the colors are :
Tan w/ Orange Stripe
Black

If it is the DRL resistor the colors would be :
Orange w/ light green stripe
Orange w/ light green stripe

If that is the DRL resistor connector, run your hand over the harness and try to find a Y in it, the other end should be the fog lamp connector ( similar to the passenger side, with the horn connector )

Quick Reply: adding stock foglights