need some help.. please!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 08:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need some help.. please!!!!

I have an 07 fx4 screw and the other day i noticed my gauge lights/hvac lights were out... upon inspection i also realized the parking lights were out..

so i checked the fuses.. fuse number 6 was blown. i changed the fuse and it worked for a few days.. except one day when they were intermitently flashing on and off, and low and behold this morning they were out again.

I have no idea what the issue could be, my only thought is the headlight switch is going bad becuase when it blows things dont dim, such as the radio, however the headlamps do work but no parking lights work.

any thoughts or ideas? any help would be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:50 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Are there any modifications ( gauges, aftermarket HU, etc ) ?

What position is the headlamp switch in when it blows ( headlamps or autolamps ) ?

You are blowing the parking lamp circuit, which also feeds the instrument illumination.

Could be a few things, but best to isolate the cluster illumination and test again.

On the back of the main headlamp switch is a connector adjacent the instrument dimer dial, unplug this, and install a few fuse, see if it blows again.
If it does, the problem is with the parking lamps, if not, could be the switch or the instrument illumination circuit, I would suspect the switch, but would need to test it first.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:45 AM
there is an aftermarket hu that was isntalled over 2.5 years ago. I also have HId headlights which were installed around the same time. Those are my only two mods.

the headlamp switch is in the one position when it blows and i believe may have blown once in the autolamp position.

I will do as you said an post results... thank you so much for your help!

Old 05-04-2010, 10:55 AM
i took the main headlamp switch out and there are only two connectors... one i assume for the headlight switch and one for the dimmer... which one do i pull the one for the headlight switch?

Old 05-04-2010, 11:45 AM

You pull the one that is adjacent the instrument dimer dial ( the other side from it ).

It should be a smaller connector than the one for the parking and headlamps.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:00 PM
excuse my ignorance but here is what i did. i removed the entire unit. below is a picture of it. Now the the fuse is not blowing but it usually dosent until i turn the lights on. I have no way of doing this without the switch being connected. i tried to follow the instrcutions on the image u posted so i got an electrical meter, siwtched it to ohms, when i touch them they emmit a tone. i then connected it to what i beleived to be pins 2 and 4...2 to the left of one and 4 being 3 over from the one labled on... it emiited no tone either on or off...

so my question is did i do this correctly?
below is a pciture of the part i am trying to test.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 05-04-2010, 02:11 PM

That is the interior light test, did you turn the headlamps on, or the interior light ?

Old 05-04-2010, 02:31 PM
here is what i did:

unplug connector adjacent the instrument dimer dial, and install a few fuse.

the fuse did not blow, however the parking lights nor the instrument cluster lights are on as i need to reconnect the switch to turn them.

i reconnected the switch turned them on and they went on and stayed on, this is the same thing that happened last time and in a few days bam the fuse blew again. The only notable thing is during the week the fuse did not blow i did not have my parking lights or headlights on, the switch remianed in the offf position.

any ideas? other ways to test?

Old 05-04-2010, 04:22 PM

Still trying to get you to try what is in post #2 above.

That is why I posted what it looks like ( in post #5 ), and you start testing the interior lamp circuit with a meter.

Unplug connector C2150B and leave it off.
Reinstall switch with just that 1 connector undone, and see if it happens again.

This is the only connector you should be removing, if you remove connector C2150A, yes nothing is going to work. That one is to be left installed.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:33 PM
ok so i am removing the connector that is behind the dimmer wheel... i will try that now. and post results.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:14 PM
i think with your help i was able to isolate the problem down to an ipod charging adapter that i was using conencted to my pioneer d3 headunit.... with that plug unplugged the adapter/hu were going crazy. i removed the adapter plugged the plug back ina nd used the headlights three times since and no fuse has blown... i will continue to test. Thanks for all of the help, sorry about the confussion.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:01 AM
well the problem is back. The only denominator i can think of is atleast the past two times it happened it has been raining. ANy suggestions for further trouble shooting.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:55 AM

Did the problem happen with the Illumination connector unplugged from the main headlamp switch ?

Old 05-13-2010, 11:57 AM
no, with it connected.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:13 PM

Remove the connector again, and test without it installed for some time. Need to figure out if it is the switch or the instrumentation illumination circuit.

Quick Reply: need some help.. please!!!!