Tachometer wire?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2001, 01:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Tachometer wire?

I'm trying to find out which wire on my '99 F150 4.2L is the Tachometer data wire. I do not have a tach om my console but the digital odometer can show me the rpms.
If any one knows for sure which wire it is I would like a response.
Also does anyone know what type of signal is used for the tach. data Is it a pulse signal, sin wave, variable resistance, what is it?

Old 04-29-2001, 01:34 AM
I have been asking for months now and no one seems to know for the ford ignitions past 98. I don't want to pay a reputable place $90 to do it. And i don't want some hole in the wall joint to do it either. Well... good luck man!

------------------
SpliT

2000 Work Series
Deep Wedgewood Blue
Standard Cab 5-Spd
4.2L V6 3.08 Gears
Mean Streak Cat-Back Exhaust(Anyone else have one, I hate mine)
Weld Super Single Wheels
Pioneer Deck DEH-P7200
Tinted Windows
Clear Corners
Superchip
AutoMeter Tach(Not Installed Yet)

Future Mods: FIPK, Bedliner, Billet Grille w/ Painted Grille Surround, Color-Keyed Bumpers, 6.5" Fabtech Ultimate Suspension Lift!!!

Email Me at: F150v6@Aol.com

Old 04-29-2001, 07:43 AM
Here you go boys: Powertrax, I needed the Tach wire to install an aftermarket remote start. The instructions indicated the tach wire as: For the 4.6 Triton, tach is PINK/WHITE at driver side coil, on 5.4 Triton it's PINK/WHITE at harness through firewall on drivers side. (that's where I found mine, on the top of three thick harness's and it was'nt easy to connect to) For the V10, use the negative side of any ot the 10 injectors on the top of the engine.

------------------
'98 White Super Cab 4X4 Lariat

WustaMass, Where we pahk ah cahs!

Old 04-30-2001, 08:12 PM
Hi MechE

Yeah, know the feeling. You may have already contacted autometer?

Get ahold of Autometer. Because of ign.change in 99, there tachs wouldnt work. When i asked why, had to do with the signal generated. They gave a great description technical etc.

Im just using digital odo for now. Maybe someone will come up with a cheaper fix.
Isspro (complete 200.00) but???

Good luck

Old 05-03-2001, 12:18 AM
I contacted autometer and they told me that they do not make a gauge that works with trucks from 99 and on. duh They said that the signal was differnt than the previous truck models. The service tech i emailed would not tell me which wire and what type of signal was used. He told me to go talk to ford. So anybody want to go talk to a ford tech. for me. It will be awhile before i can, college finals and all going on.

Quick Reply: Tachometer wire?