won't start when damp

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2001, 05:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry won't start when damp

Frustrated in MI.
My friend has a Ford F150 1995 straight six.
Has replaced almost everything...plug wires, plugs, distributer cap/rotor, etc (not the cheap stuff either)....
Every time it is damp outside, it will not start....Any suggestions??? Idea's??
Thanks !

Old 01-15-2001, 09:18 PM
Your friend hit the obvious stuff already, so if it's all good, had one more idea. On a damp morning when it won't start, take off the distributor cap (leaving wires attached) and look carefully at the inside top of it for tiny droplets of moisture. I worked on a Chevy straight 6 many years ago that had the same problem. On the underside of the cap were the droplets. Wiping them off good, it would start. But the next damp morning, same thing, and the droplets were back. Finally had to leave the cap off and hood open for a sunny day, which solved the problem. Seemed water had gotten in to the distributor one day, and sat down in the bottom. When it was cool and damp, it would condense on the underside of the cap. The distributor on that car was very exposed to splash.

Old 01-16-2001, 07:21 PM
Thanks Granpa!
I printed this out for him to see tomarrow!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Granpa:
Your friend hit the obvious stuff already, so if it's all good, had one more idea. On a damp morning when it won't start, take off the distributor cap (leaving wires attached) and look carefully at the inside top of it for tiny droplets of moisture. I worked on a Chevy straight 6 many years ago that had the same problem. On the underside of the cap were the droplets. Wiping them off good, it would start. But the next damp morning, same thing, and the droplets were back. Finally had to leave the cap off and hood open for a sunny day, which solved the problem. Seemed water had gotten in to the distributor one day, and sat down in the bottom. When it was cool and damp, it would condense on the underside of the cap. The distributor on that car was very exposed to splash.</font>

Quick Reply: won't start when damp