Power door locks possesed HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 08:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Power door locks possesed HELP!

OK. I have a 97 F150 that is giving me fits. To make a long story short...
When it's hot and ONLY sometimes...the door lock accuator really has a hard time opening....(you can hear it working hard and slowly). Then...unattended...the door locks lock constantly and eventually the battery goes dead over night.
(BTW....I'm in Florida and it get's HOT & WET!)

Latest example... Battery went dead overnight with no problems found with battery or alternator. Then, I manually lock the driver door and close it.... the truck electronically locks my door and the passenger door...repeatedly...even when I am using the key fob and the key to make it stop...it doesn't until it's good and ready.
Now...
Ford says well, the accuator may indeed be bad but the problem may be with a modual under the dash... "Have I had the windshield replaced recently, because if it is not sealed properly, those year trucks can leak onto the door lock module under the dash?" Well guess what...I DID have the windshield replaced about a year ago......
Soooo.......

At this point, I don't even want power door locks....can I bypass them to manual? Ford wants about 1 to 2 hours to diagnois and then what??? $200 to $500 to fix?

Has anyone else had possessed door locks? Did you find a fix?

I have and am still going thru the search threads including the 5 page door locks thread, so no lectures please.

Can anyone help on this?

Old 08-15-2008, 10:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
to start off, the dealership may have guessed right about your windshield. leaking windshields have caused alot of people grief with the GEM module. do you have any other electrical gremlins? you may want to check the GEM for moisture.

i remember one guy on here saying he had the "possessed" locks, and it turned out to be his kid playing with the key fob. maybe your key fob is acting up and making the locks cycle, so to eliminate that problem, take the battery out and see what happens.

and to answer you final question, using the manual on here https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenan...ls/default.asp
if you pull the #3 fuse in the power distrubution box (under the hood driver side) your power locks (and only power locks) will seize to exist.

Last edited by 02SC4x4; 08-15-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:11 AM
Wow! Great information! Thank you!

You know, now that you mention it, the fob may be a problem. In the last year, I've noticed if I locked the doors with the toggle inside and later opened the door with the key, the horn would go off until I hit the panic to reset.
BTW, what does GEM stand for? In the door lock thread, I stopped reading at accessing it. You go thru the long oval access panel located on top of the dash... and it's not the module you see at first....etc?

Old 08-16-2008, 09:12 AM
I tried the key fob test, no change, as the locks acted up again using the toggle switch inside to lock. Pulled the fuse and that should do great as a temp/perm fix.

Last edited by justusinfla; 08-16-2008 at 11:12 AM. Reason: update
Old 02-23-2009, 05:23 PM
Need help again

I resurrecting this thread because my problem is back with a vengence
I had my truck lock me out this morning and even with a key and fob I couldn't (but eventually did) get back in. As a temp fix, I pulled the number three fuse (btw, there are two #3's in the box under the hood, it's the small 15 amp one on the left, towards the front).

Long story short, since my last post on this, I took it in to Ford and they replaced the drivers side door lock actuator and cleaned the connections on the GEM. Problem was gone and locks worked better than ever. Slowly but surely, the auto door lock problem has returned.

I've done enough searching to know that this "possessed door lock problem" has happened to others, but found no definitive fix. I'm going to check the wires going from body to doors for breaks/shorts, but other than that, any ideas? I'm thinking a new GEM.

Thanks for any help!

Old 04-17-2010, 06:08 AM
Solved!

Well, it took a year with the problem getting worse and worse. I had to keep a key on hand as it would lock me out. When the doors were locked, I would pull on the handle and the locks would start locking.
I finally got so fed up with it, I hammer fisted the switch and guess what? They quit acting up.... for about 24 hours.
Replaced the door lock switch on the drivers side and problem fixed

Quick Reply: Power door locks possesed HELP!