Interior LEDS flickering

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 10:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interior LEDS flickering

I just installed the 2 map light leds (194) and replaced the dome light with an LED. Also changed out the 2 license plate incadescents with LEDS. And changed out the puddle lamps (under the mirrors) with LEDS. Now after I shut the door and lights start to fade out they flicker like a strobe light then turn off. I'm thinking about trying a load resistor for both the puddle lamps to see if that will help. Any thoughts on what type/size load resistor I would need. Or do think it could possibily be a loose connection? Have you guys seen this before?

Old 01-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
I did the same LED upgrades to my 05 KR. I have NO flickering whatsoever when the lights go off. They just dim rapidly to the off state. I don't think I'd try a load resistor at all.

Are ALL the lights "flickering"? Both map lights, the dome light and both puddle lamps? If so, this would almost indicate some kind of anomaly in your power controller (wherever that is). I imagine it wasn't visible with incandescents because it's a "rapid" surge that doesn't last long enough to alter the "resistive" glow in the filaments, but in a LED, with its much quicker response time, the change in voltage is visible.

- Jack

Old 01-12-2010, 10:15 PM
JandJ, I ended up finding the problem to possibily be one of the 3022 led bulbs for the puddle lights. It was a brand new bulb and therefore thought to be good but didn't seem to be the case.

I had an extra 194 Led bulb, so I hooked a few aligater clips to it and tried it....and it worked great. The lights did a rapid turn off with no flickering. Oh and yes it would flicker on all the interior lights and the puddle lights.

So make a long story short, I soldered 2 wires + and - to the the bulb and ran the wire through that existing breather hole. I then wrapped the end of the bulb with electrical tape and wedged it into the housing. And I also removed the reflector in the housing to help minimize any shorting on the bulb.

Using the 194 SMT 4 LED actually appears to be slightly brighter then the oringinal festoon 3022 with equal SMT LEDS....but I'm sure it just my eyes playing tricks on me. Thanks for the help.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:25 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Weird! Glad you found the problem though.

I received a defective LED from SuperBrightLEDs once (an interior light for our trailer). I simply called or emailed them (I don't remember which) about it and they promptly replaced it.

- Jack

Old 01-18-2010, 12:38 PM
Thanks Jack, I'll have to give V-LEDS a call and see what they can do. I'd much rather have the proper bulb in there, then the 194 that I made fit.

Quick Reply: Interior LEDS flickering