Shifter overdrive button shorting out fuse problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 07:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifter overdrive button shorting out fuse problems

I drive a 98' 4.6 litre, V8 Triton, extended cab, dual Flowmaster exhaust system, with a Fabtech 7.5 long travel lift. All self modified.
Now a few months ago the overdrive button on the end of the shifter broke still connected on with three wires. Since then I've tried glueing it back on but I still managed to snap it off again while shifting. About a week ago I noticed that all the dash gauges (mph gauge, fuel gauge, rpm gauge etc.) were not working at all.
I figured out that a fuse for instrument cluster was blown so I replaced it, but it keeps on popping. I think that maybe the wires connecting the overderive button to the shifter are so old & exposed by the sun & cracking that they are touching & blowing the fuse.
My question is do I really need overdrive for my truck, if so can I relocate the button, & if not then how do I remove it? thanx Ben C

Old 10-05-2009, 08:29 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Check at the base of the shifter, this can be a common place for the wires to chaff, and short out.

If you remove the button, I do not know if the truck will operate as normal, but I do know that you would not be able to switch OD out for towing, if that is a concern.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:59 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Your truck uses overdrive by default. The button on the end of the shifter is an input to the computer that signals it to disable OD when the operator hits the button.

Remove the lower and upper column shrouds per service manual and repair the wire harness as it exits the shift lever that sscully suggested.

Quick Reply: Shifter overdrive button shorting out fuse problems