Intermittent turn signal

Old 07-01-2002, 06:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Intermittent turn signal

I have a 98 F150 4X and the right blinker all of the sudden has started flashing insanely fast and not displayig on the dash. I go outside the truck and look, the rear right blinker & mirror signal are both flashing fast but the front is not working. The funny thing is that after the truck has warmed up a bit, like 15 minutes it goes away and acts normal. Is this a bulb issue in the front or is something else screwed up? Anybody else have this problem?

Old 07-01-2002, 07:17 PM
sound like a bulb problem. or a bad connection at that bulb. if the mirror and dash are flashing. the right front is on the same curcuit as the dash and mirror. the rear bulbs are on differant. and when you have a bad bulb the flasher will speed up. i would change that bulb and check connection and try again cold.

Old 07-01-2002, 07:19 PM
Thanx, I'll give it a shot.

Old 07-09-2002, 02:22 AM
Exclamation Twilight Zone

balerion,

I just logged on to see if anyone else has developed this issue and you described my issue to a tee. Exact same thing has been happening to me for a few months. Very intermittent. Can't seem to find a pattern, and mine will do this whenever, even when warmed up. I have gone around the truck and smacked the lights (its always the front ones not blinking when this happens, left or right). It will even do it with the hazards sometimes (just testing). I've reset the relays to no effect. I've jiggled the wiring harnesses around the engine compartment and lights. No effect. Haven't gotten around to replacing the lights, but that seems to be what needs to happen next. If I find out anything, I'll update you here.

Velocity
Sig: Hmm. Can't compete with most of these with the truck, but my grocery getter is a Factory Five, if you know what that is.

Old 07-09-2002, 05:54 PM
Try this pattern:

Tilt wheel all the way up, do they work???

Tilt wheel all the way down, do they malfunction???

See this about once a week at work, terminals pulled out of multifunction switch connector, from using tilt a lot, or from having the MF switch replaced and the person snatched the switch to undo the connectors (i used to do it this way). The connector is kinda hard to unplug, tempting people to ****** them out.

Anyway, if its acts like i said, the replacement harness is about 75$ and I charge a hour to put them on, you gotta drop the column down in your lap.

Old 07-09-2002, 05:55 PM
Thought of another thing, if it doesnt go and come with the tilt like i said, grab the switch lever and really work it hard, you wont break it, but if the problem clears up its just a worn out switch.

Old 09-09-2002, 01:49 PM
I've had the same problem for months. I posted the same question here and most of the responses I received told me to: clean the contacts on the multifunction switch as the electrical contact grease on it tends to corrode the contacts. I haven't had a chance to drop the cover off the column and try this myself. Most replies said it was an easy fix. I'm surprised that FORD hasn't sent out a recall on this, since most 1997s and 1998s are having this problem. BEST OF LUCK

Old 09-09-2002, 06:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Glad I haven't used the tilt since the day I bought my truck new so I wont have to deal with that kind of problem it looks like.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:24 PM
2016 same problem

Get this. I just bought a new f150 with the 2.7 twin turbo. I drove it off the lot with 24 kilometres on it, drove 2 kilometres and the exact same thing. Signal works sometimes and flashes fast with the signal on the front not working. I took it in and "don't know how that could have got past everyone". They're going to look at it but I told them I don't want a new truck with a wiring problem. So I guess we'll see. I'll post back.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intermittent turn signal