Turning off the seat belt beeper

Old 06-12-2009, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turning off the seat belt beeper

Any ways to turn off the passanger/ driver beeper when riding without a seat belt, and yet still have the passanger airbag deploy?

Old 06-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's not a good idea, but yes: 1) get a junkyard belt tab & insert it in the buckle, 2) pull the belt around the back of the seat & insert it in the buckle, 3) jumper the wires going to the buckle.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:22 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Did you read your owners manual ? There is a procedure on page 178

Old 06-13-2009, 12:23 AM
no. i didnt. i didnt think they would put that in the manual. ill have to look that up. thanks

Old 06-13-2009, 08:38 AM

Just saw 1 thing, you said to still have the passenger airbag deploy.

I am not sure what happens when the seat belt is not clicked on the '09, when the passenger occupancy sensor reads someone is there.
I have no idea if the airbag will still deploy or at what speed.

Driver's side there is no occupancy sensor, they assume someone is driving that weighs over 60# ( think that is the cut off ).

Old 06-18-2009, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Did you read your owners manual ? There is a procedure on page 178
is this procedure in the same page for an 2006 model

Old 06-18-2009, 08:57 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
Just saw 1 thing, you said to still have the passenger airbag deploy.

I am not sure what happens when the seat belt is not clicked on the '09, when the passenger occupancy sensor reads someone is there.
I have no idea if the airbag will still deploy or at what speed.

Driver's side there is no occupancy sensor, they assume someone is driving that weighs over 60# ( think that is the cut off ).
Wouldn't you think this is just a way to eliminate the annoyance of the reminder when drivers have to "jump in and out of their vehicles a lot", Steve?

Isn't there a PAX airbag alert light that says the airbag is disabled if it is (when there's weight in the seat)? Is the airbag disabled if the belt over there is not hooked up? Seems like it kind of defeats the concept of "passive restraint" if this is so.

I'm betting the bag will deploy.

Now all we have to do is to get someone to run into a brick wall, with a passenger, and the seat belt reminder turned off - and, we'll know for sure!

- Jack

Old 06-19-2009, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Wouldn't you think this is just a way to eliminate the annoyance of the reminder when drivers have to "jump in and out of their vehicles a lot", Steve?

Isn't there a PAX airbag alert light that says the airbag is disabled if it is (when there's weight in the seat)? Is the airbag disabled if the belt over there is not hooked up? Seems like it kind of defeats the concept of "passive restraint" if this is so.

I'm betting the bag will deploy.

Now all we have to do is to get someone to run into a brick wall, with a passenger, and the seat belt reminder turned off - and, we'll know for sure!

- Jack
I am sure that it will deploy also, but I am not sure at what speed.

I am not recalling right now, but I thought at the 2004, this was changed, so if someone was there, and depending on how close, and what weight, is what speed the the air bags deployed.

The part I am unsure about, is if the airbag speed changed based upon the seat belt being clicked.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:28 AM
I'd think that if you're restrained, you wouldn't need as much force to slow you down, therefore the bag won't open at full blast since it doesn't have to keep you from flying through the windshield?

Old 06-20-2009, 12:10 AM
The other possibility is that, if you're NOT belted, and the bag goes full-blast, it could do more damage to you than the dash would have.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Steve83
The other possibility is that, if you're NOT belted, and the bag goes full-blast, it could do more damage to you than the dash would have.
This sounds like what I cannot recall for sure.

Something about the '04 have the new less forceful airbags, with intelligent arming and deployment.

The arming part is straight forward, nobody there, or a briefcase in the seat, the airbag is off.

The weight and proximity determine how much force it deploys with ( so a 70# kid does not get the WWF style smack down ).

Unbelted, drawing a blank. Didn't think I needed to recall that one.

Old 06-20-2009, 04:26 PM
Is it 2 stage or 3 stage? I can't remember.

Originally Posted by Steve83
True. Though if you're going slow enough that you're only going to hit the dash, I wouldn't think it would deploy. It's when you're going fast enough to go through a windshield that it would deploy, and I'd think with more force if you're unbuckled.

If you crash at 50, truck goes from 50 to 0, but you keep on going at 50. Less force is required to stop a moving body that is going 20 (slowed down by belt), as opposed to 50 (without seat belt).

If you're only going 20, and you're with seat belt, it might not go off. If you're without seat belt, it might go off with half force, or maybe nothing at all, thinking a deployment might do more harm than, say, the dash (like you said.)

Who knows. Either way, I wear my seat belt, so I don't worry too much about it.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by PowerHungryF150
is this procedure in the same page for an 2006 model
It was the same on my '06...

Love having it since i work construction and people are constantly in and out of the truck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turning off the seat belt beeper