Factory Security/Remote Start System on 06

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 01:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory Security/Remote Start System on 06

Wow.. Didnt realize how long its been since I was here last. ANyways, I ran into my first snag with my 06 and the "search" did not help me.

Problem: Factory alarm goes off throughout the night. Annoys neighbors.
I have watched it activate with no one around.

Theory: I assumed it may be the shock sensor misbehaving all of a sudden so I tried to reduce the sensitivity, however, following the directions in the little owner's manual, the system will not go into learning mode.

After calling the 800-FORD-KEY help desk, there answer was.....Not sure, you need to take it into a Ford Service Center.

Does anybody have an installation manual or a schematic so that I may be able to diagnose the problem.

In addition, the properly installed alarm/start system should start the car by press LOCK then START. However, on my wiring, it reqquires holding the START button down until the horns goes off twice.

So I assume the dealer used creativity when installing this.

FWIW.... I was transferred to an AudioVox techsupport for this. Didn't realize they manufactured the Ford Accessory Alarm/Remote STart system.

Thanks,
Jim

Old 06-03-2009, 01:53 PM
Sounds like you have bigger problems. First we need to positively identify your remote start. Sounds like the dealer used a jobber part not a Ford one. But that's not always a bad thing. If you know where your shock sensor is, unplug it. That completely eliminates it as a problem source. If your alarm still trips then that's not it. Step two is to systematically remove on alarm input at a time. Shock/doors/hood etc until the problem goes away.

This is alot more complex then I can type, hence why you were told to take it in. But if you have the patients you'll find it.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, considering you have ID'd the unit as a Ford Gold Remote start, and are having the 2 horn chirps, I would think you might have a bad hood tilt switch.

The hood tilt switch should be installed on the hood ( sure you have seen it a million times ). This is a switch to ground, to make sure the hood is not open when starting.

That is what the manual shows could be happening ( I am taking a SWAG from the T-shooing section on page 14 ).

The install directions, take a look here :

http://www.fordaccessoriesstore.com/GfaWeb/techSpecs.do

You can get the install manual, as well as the owners guide for the Ford Gold remote start. Pull both the 2006 and the 2007 install directions, I am not sure why it is listed that way, but just to be sure.

The 2006 install directions ( in the 2002-2006 guide ) the RKE/VSS/RMST diagram is on page 193 of the pdf file.

I only took a quick look, but I do not see an external shock sensor input on the diagram. You might have better luck.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:29 PM
You guys are awesome. Didn't know that site existed. Just looked at the schematics and such. I will study it better when I have access to the truck since I am at work now.

I appreciate your help....

Thanks,
Jim

Old 06-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Wanted to mention that the installation guide had showed a configuration which required the dome light switch on the dash to be activated in order for the alarm to be placed in learning mode. This was never stated in the Owner's Manual. After reading that and studying the schematics, I was able to get the system into learning mode and reduced the sensitivity setting. We'll see how that works.

Thanks for the help.....

Jim

Old 06-04-2009, 09:42 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks for the update, please post back if that did the trick for you or not, once you have some time on it.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:46 PM
I was able to perform the learning mode but was unable to correct my initial problem. I think the IT sensors/component is still damaged.

But now instead of starting the vehicle by holding down the start button for two horns, I can now start it per the directions in the manual (Lock-Start).

I need to spend more time with it, however the directions are not very helpful. I need to spend some more time and see if I can retrieve the current settings. Whatever I did the first time, definitely changed/messed up my factory configuration. Hopefully this weekend will allow some more time.,

Thanks,
Jim

Quick Reply: Factory Security/Remote Start System on 06