Dome Light/ Cargo Light Intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 10:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dome Light/ Cargo Light Intermittent

I have a 2002 F150 and when I use my remote to unlock my doors the dome light and cargo light only come on like 25% of the time. The dome lights also dont come on when I open the doors most of the time.

Does anyone know what it could be?

Old 02-23-2009, 10:48 PM
might sound stupied but did you check your dimmer switch?? lol i have done this many times wondering WTF?!?!

Old 02-23-2009, 11:05 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You are referring to the illumined entry feature, where you press unlock, and the interior / cargo lamps go when using the RKE, or the keypad, prior to opening the door ?

Do the lights always work if you use the key to unlock the door, and open it ?

You can try a swap of the interior lamp relay, maybe the coil or contacts are going out ?

If this is only with the RKE, and opening the door works 100% of the time, ould be something else.

Maybe start with swapping the interior lamp relay, and test to see if it works 100% of the time with the RKE ( if the I got the issue correct ).

If memory serves me correctly, the interior lamp relay is a half size ISO relay, and you should be able to swap this with one from the Battery junction box ( under the hood ) with the trailer tow parking lamp, fog lamp or trailer tow reversing lamp relay ( think those are all 1/2 ISO relay, check your owners manual to make sure )

Old 02-24-2009, 03:53 AM
Originally Posted by SSCULLY
You are referring to the illumined entry feature, where you press unlock, and the interior / cargo lamps go when using the RKE, or the keypad, prior to opening the door ?

Yes

Do the lights always work if you use the key to unlock the door, and open it ?

I have not tried that

You can try a swap of the interior lamp relay, maybe the coil or contacts are going out ?

If this is only with the RKE, and opening the door works 100% of the time, ould be something else.

opening the door only works around 50% of the time.

Maybe start with swapping the interior lamp relay, and test to see if it works 100% of the time with the RKE ( if the I got the issue correct ).

If memory serves me correctly, the interior lamp relay is a half size ISO relay, and you should be able to swap this with one from the Battery junction box ( under the hood ) with the trailer tow parking lamp, fog lamp or trailer tow reversing lamp relay ( think those are all 1/2 ISO relay, check your owners manual to make sure )
I will try this out tomorrow thanks for your help

Old 03-04-2009, 03:02 AM
Well I finally got around to messing with this, turns out it is the relay. Its relay #1 under the dash. If the lights dont come on, I can flick the relay and they come on. They stay on if I put pressure on the relay. I tried to pull it, but it wont budge. It feels like I'm going to break it.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:28 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Try wiggling it back and forth while pulling it out. It could be a damaged socket, or just stuck from being in there for 7 + years without being removed.

Quick Reply: Dome Light/ Cargo Light Intermittent